Five-try haul in win return

Wisbech 34pts, Southwold 5pts

Wisbech notched up a five-try haul as they got back to winning ways.

However it did take the home side around 20 minutes to settle down as the combination of the visitors’ doggedness and hard work at the breakdown and the aftermath of the disappointment over the past three weeks of the defeat in the Vase and the away defeat to Ipswich last week which virtually gave the league championship to arch rivals Cantabs.

Fly half Will Pettit was back having recovered from the ankle injury and he broke the deadlock when he nipped through a gap in the defence to score under the posts, Laws added the conversation.

However Southwold fought back to pin Wisbech back into their half, a slick handling move by their backs caught Wisbech flat footed and Southwold scored a try in the corner to reduce the arrears. A Mark Laws penalty eased Wisbech into a 10-5 lead at the break.

The second half saw Wisbech return to form and it was not too long before Pettit seized his opportunity to add a second try after the Wisbech forwards secured ball. David Wadsley replaced Richard Cavill who had another impressive game. Virtually with his first touch of the game Wadsley gathered the ball close to the line and powered over.

Southwold started to tire and the home backs started to run the ball. Phil Martell out paced the home defence to score Wisbech’s fourth try and a bonus point. Andy Claydon added the conversion as Joe Barfoot had replaced Laws. Barfoot himself scored the final try and with Claydon’s conversion Wisbech rounded off a satisfying performance.

“I was very pleased with the way the lads responded,” said club manager Cliff Humphreys. “We were lucky to beat Southwold at their place and I thought that our pack functioned very well against much heavier opposition.

“We need to keep focused and see the season out as promotion is still a realistic possibility as runners-up.”

Wisbech are at home to Mersea Island in a rearranged league fixture on Saturday, KO 3pm.