Flying start sets Wisbech up to claim vital victory

Wisbech 3,

Harleston Magpies II 0

Wisbech produced a stunning first half display followed by a strong second half defensive show to see off close rivals Harleston.

Bradley Apted opened the scoring, lifting the ball over the keeper with a reverse stick shot from close range.

Gavin Johnstone converted a short corner to double Wisbech’s lead and but for a number of saves from the Harleston goalkeeper the game could have been over by the break.

Wisbech’s level dropped in the second half, but their defensive display was excellent and Harleston created few real chances.

The home side finally put the seal on the result when Dan Martell caused chaos in the Harleston circle and in the scramble Wisbech won a penalty stroke.

Joe Melton did the honours from the penalty spot.

On Saturday fourth placed Wisbech visit second placed Ramgarhia (2.15) and on Sunday host Lincoln Roses in Round 3 of the EHA Trophy (2pm).

Bourne Deeping 1st 2,

Wisbech Town 2nd 0

Wisbech put in a hard shift against a well organised Bourne Deeping side.

The first half was short on clear cut chances with Bourne having more possession and Wisbech looking threatening on breakaways. Even when Bourne were reduced to ten men for a period, Wisbech could not find a break through and the half ended goalless.

The deadlock was broken soon after the restart when Bourne converted a well worked penalty corner. Bourne then doubled their lead with a smart deflection sending Wisbech goalkeeper Tom Peggs the wrong way.

A late Wisbech goal might have given Bourne a nervous last few minutes, but it was what might have been as Wisbech watched a Phil Norman pass roll across an empty goal with no one on hand to put it in. In the end Bourne maintained their 100 per cent winning record and Wisbech had goalkeeper Peggs to thank for keeping the score down to two.

On Saturday Wisbech are at home to St Ives 2 at 4pm.

Wisbech Town 3rds 3, Cambridge City 4ths 4

Despite a strong start by Wisbech, they squandered a 2-0 lead, through goals by Dave Webster and Richard Claxton, to find themselves 3-2 down after an injury to Jason Esser took them down to ten men.

Wisbech then regained their footing in the game and brought it back to 3-3 with a second by Webster before they were beaten by a late Cambridge strike. Man of the Match was George Carter.

On Saturday it is St Neots (a), noon.

March 3rds 7,

Wisbech Town 4ths 3

Wisbech trailed 4-0 at half-time and then conceded two more goals after the break.

They eventually started to play some decent hockey and goals from Will Green, Simon Johnson and Chris Stanhope reduced the deficit and if all the chances had been taken the score line would have been closer.

March are in contention for promotion this year and if Wisbech want to compete they need to toughen up when faced with this type of opposition.

Canterbury 2nds 5,

Wisbech Ladies 1st 0

After travelling three hours, Wisbech started with determination after last week’s win, however in the first half, despite attempts at pressure at the opposite end of the pitch, Wisbech conceded four goals.

In the second half Wisbech had more of the play and looked more confident with the ball. However Canterbury added to their tally and scored again to make it 5-0. Player of the match was shared between Georgie Dunn, Sue Slator, Jo Bland and Jane Peggs.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 6, Newmarket 1st 1

Wisbech moved up to third place in the Cambs League with an outstanding triumph over the runaway league leaders.

Newmarket were left stunned as Wisbech took the lead early and having not lost a game this season they never seemed to come to terms with Wisbech’s ability to work as a team, maintain tight marking and make the most of their chances. Short corners were won, there was a goal line save and Wisbech were almost always on the front foot, meeting the ball before the opposition.The six home goals came from Laura Overland 2, Emma Baker, Shelly Jones, Louise Sandall and Emily Wagstaff on her club debut. Newmarket managed a single goal in the first half.

Player of the match award was once again shared between Jodi Peggs and Laura Overland.

Wisbech meet Cambridge South away on Saturday in the Cambridgeshire Cup.

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 2, Spalding 3rds 1

Wisbech took on the top of the table side Spalding expecting to find themselves defending for the majority. This was true for the first 10 minutes, but once the game settled Wisbech found themselves a goal up through Connie Anker midway through the first half.

This lead was then doubled five minutes before the break with Emily Brown finding herself 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper and calmly slotting the ball home.

Wisbech’s defence kept them in the game with player of the match Kat Doyle making vital contributions. Spalding pulled a goal back, but Wisbech held on to pull off a shock win.