Gavin grabs goal double as Wisbech reach summit

Wisbech 3,

Cambridge University II 2

Wisbech soared to the summit of East Premier B with a hard fought win over a young and fit University side.

Wisbech made a good start but despite dominating possession they failed to create any notable chances against a well organised University defence. They got the goal when Gavin Johnstone (MoM) scored from a short corner. It was his first goal for the club after his summer move from Pelicans.

The home side started the second half well but it was University who grabbed an equaliser very much against the run of play.

Dan Martell played the ball straight into the path of Brad Apted’s run and he glided by the keeper and calmly walked the ball into the net.

Wisbech then lost Matt Webster to a yellow card after an ill judged tackle. In the midst of their reorganisation Wisbech conceded what proved to be University’s only corner of the half. Wisbech blocked it twice but couldn’t manage a third and University scored their second equaliser.

A draw would have been a disappointing result for Wisbech and another Martell pass found Johnstone in the circle and after an outrageous dummy he flicked the ball powerfully into the top corner to take all three points.

Next week Wisbech visit City of Peterborough II (11.30).

Wisbech Town 2nds 6, Cambridge City 4ths 2

Wisbech took control of the game in the first half and Gary Freear opened the scoring by deflecting home a fierce strike from Phil Norman.

Alex Jones then finished off a trademark Lee Peck run before Dan Mason scored twice with a cheeky tap in followed by a strike into the top corner. Freear added another to make it 5-0 to Wisbech at half-time.

Cambridge rallied in the second half, but were limited to two goals by some superb shot stopping from Tom Peggs in the Wisbech goal. Mason completed his hat-trick and the game finished as an excellent 6-2 win for Wisbech. Man of the match: Lee Peck.

Wisbech are away to St Neots 1.30pm on Saturday.

Ely 2nds 5, Wisbech 3rds 2

Wisbech found it hard work against a fast Ely side who continually caught them on the break. Despite the efforts of Simon Freear in the Wisbech goal, Ely were two goals up by half-time mainly due to poor Wisbech possession and a habit of passing to the opposition.

The second half was more of the same with Ely passing the ball through the away defence and creating 2 v 1s in the circle. Wisbech did manage to get two goals in reply from Hugo Atkins and David Wood but it was too little too late.

Player of the match was Jack Bass whose work rate in midfield was outstanding.

Saturday v Bourne Deeping (h) 2.30 start.

Wisbech 4ths 0, St Ives 4ths 2

Wisbech struggled in the heat but when their passing started to happen they looked dangerous in midfield and attack.

It was a fairly even game but it was St Ives who broke the deadlock with a couple of well taken goals that gave them the result. Saturday v Peterborough 7ths (h) 1pm start.

Wisbech Ladies 0, Lowestoft 2

Wisbech started brightly after a confidence boosting result last week and kept Lowestoft at bay despite intense attacking from the away team for a goalless first half.

They started the second half with the hope of another good result, however, within the first couple of minutes Wisbech were caught on the break and Lowestoft stole an early goal.

Within seconds of the restart Wisbech were involved in another goalmouth tangle and Lowestoft were awarded a very dubious goal. Despite this Wisbech played better hockey in the second half and started to pressurise with some very close chances.

Jo Bland was named player of the match but a special mention to the whole team for the effort given in high temperatures.

Newmarket 4,

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 3

Wisbech continued their habit of scoring early with Kimberley Stimpson getting the opening goal inside 25 seconds.

Having all the possession in the first half the Newmarket defence was put under pressure from the Wisbech forwards, resulting in Jade Long getting the second. Newmarket got a goal back from a short corner, but Stimpson struck again to restore the two-goal advantage.

Early in the second half Newmarket scored twice to make it 3-3. They then took the lead for the first time in the match with a short corner finding the bottom corner. Wisbech came agonisingly close to levelling the scores again but Newmarket held on to take the points.