Joe scores five-try haul in demolition

Share this article

Wisbech 77pts

Woodbridge 3pts

Wisbech were back to their clinical best on Saturday when they demolished lowly Woodbridge with a 13-try haul, five of which were scored by winger/full back Joe Barfoot.

Wisbech welcomed back club skipper Tom Long for his first start since breaking his thumb in the first league match of the season. Also young prop Kerrie McMullen was given his first start although he was replaced at half-time. McMullen had a good game and looks to have a big future.

Wisbech maintained their record of scoring within the first five minutes of the game, this time Wisbech won a line out on Woodbridge’s five-metre line and set up a driving maul, hooker Nathaniel Humphreys gathered the ball and touched down over the line. On 10 minutes Woodbridge scored their only points when they converted a penalty.

Shortly after Barfoot scored his first try, finishing off a fine move as the ball was fed down the line. Laws added the conversion. Wisbech were now completely dominant. Phil Martell was next to score and before half-time Graham Saunders scored his first try for the club and together with scores from James Napier and Barfoot’s second Wisbech were very comfortable at half-time at 34-3.

It was much the same format in the second half, Long was replaced by new signing James Hodgson from RAF Marham and with Ben Hoyles replacing Mark Laws. Wisbech scored a further seven tries in the half: Barfoot 3, Jon Turner 2, Tom Martell and Hodgson. Turner slotted over four conversions.

“It was very pleasing to see Wisbech back playing confident rugby,” said manager Cliff Humphreys. “We were back to the level shown before Christmas. The next two weeks will be pivotal to our season as we are away to Harwich and Dovecourt, who have only lost one game at home in the league, next weekend.”

Wisbech have been drawn away to London Exiles in the Junior Vase quarter-finals on February 11. Exiles are second in the Surrey League, winning 10 out of 12 games.