Knott gets title revenge

Wisbech 1st 5, Dereham 1st 5

League leaders Dereham survived a scare in a thrilling NE14 Hockey East Premier B encounter at Wisbech,

The contrast of the hosts open passing game and the long ball tactics of the visitors made for some exciting attacking hockey throughout.

Dereham took the lead when a short corner shot squeezed into the corner of the goal as they piled on the early pressure. Wisbech equalised quickly through David Wood although Dereham were very aggrieved. The ball across was clearly lifted but the umpire deemed it not to be dangerous. It was a call that could have gone either way but the goal stood.

There was no doubt about the goal that gave Wisbech a half-time lead. Tom Jupp slammed a reverse stick shot in from an improbable angle and it went in off the far post.

Wisbech started the second half well and were soon 3-1 ahead when Jon Shippey scored from a short corner.

Dereham rallied and had a goal disallowed before they pulled a goal back from a short corner. Wisbech struck back straight away though through Aaron Cobb to make the score 4-2.

Dereham though stunned Wisbech with a rapid comeback as yellow cards started to fly, with three for each side. Dereham scored three goals in quick succession to seize the lead again although the third clearly hit a foot in the build-up which was missed by both umpires.

Wisbech battled back though and Dan Martell won a short corner. From the corner Martell was just about to shoot when his stick was whacked from behind and Wisbech were awarded a penalty stroke. Jon Shippey converted and bring the scoreline to 5-5.

On Saturday Wisbech visit Ramgharia (1.30)

Wisbech 2nds 6 Horncastle 1sts 2

Wisbech knew they needed three points from this match and took control straight from the push back. The home team were on fire with some fine passing and were rewarded with three goals before half time. Sam Dunn scored early on from a penalty corner, Phil Norman added a second with a reverse stick strike, and then Gary Freear made it three with a neat flick.

The second half was more even as Horncastle rallied, but Wisbech continued to add to their goal tally. Lee Peck flicked into the corner of the goal and Gary Freear scored his second with a well struck shot after an open play scramble. Horncastle hit back with a goal from a short corner before Lee Peck completed his brace from short range after his initial shot rebounded off the post. Horncastle scored another goal from open play, but the match was over as a contest by then.

Wisbech hope to continue their good form in their next match away to Rutland 2nds.

Wisbech 3rd XI 1, St Ives 2nd XI 1

Wisbech fielded a young and much changed side and came away from the game with a creditable point.

The game was even throughout with Wisbech taking the lead early in the first half when Pete Shippey scored from a short corner. As the game went on both sides created several chances but good defending kept the score 1-0 for most of the game.

With two minutes to go St Ives where given a dubious short corner and scored to deny the hard working Wisbech all three points. Man of the match went to Gavin Plume who controlled the back line.

Wisbech 4ths 4, St Neots 3rds 3

Wisbech had a much changed side due to call ups to higher sides in the club.

This led to a slow start before the passing got up to speed but then the goals started to come as a short corner from Howard Atkins was converted.

There was another goal from Dom Stannard and his reverse stick before a clever deflection from Jonathan Boyall made it 3-1 at half-time.

The second half was a more even affair and despite two goals from the home side and a goal from Hugo Atkins gave Wisbech a well deserved win.

On Saturday it is Spalding (h) 11.30am