Late one-two puts Town in driving seat

Share this article

Wisbech 22pts, Campion 13pts

WISBECH came out of a bruising encounter at home with the points, on a cold Saturday afternoon – and with every point vital to Wisbech at the moment, this was a very pleasing result.

Unfortunately Wisbech were denied the opportunity to go for the try bonus point at the end of the game as one of the visiting players was being attended by paramedics for a head injury. A disappointing end to what was a good afternoon for Wisbech, but the players’ best wishes go to the unfortunate Campion player. Wisbech took an early 10-point lead in the first half, but had to fight back after surrendering the lead by the second half with Campion 10-13 to the good.

An excellent inside ball from scrum half Jack Malkin put Andy McCubbin through a hole and he cantered over the line under the posts for the pick of the tries. Mark Laws was again on hand with the kicking tee, taking his personal tally up to seven points for the game, with the tries coming through Chris Newns and the sprightly James Napier as well as the aforementioned McCubbin.

A richly-deserved victory was typified by the outstanding work rate of the players and some traditionally strong tackling and defence from the home side, who looked to be able to cut through the Campion lines at ease towards the end of the match. Wisbech will want to build on this solid performance over the coming weeks.

Diss 65, Wisbech 2nd 5

THIS was another tough weekend away for the lads at Diss which saw little joy for the travelling players, Ramus touched down for the only Wisbech points.

Wisbech Colts 26, Newmarket 24

A SERIOUS injury to experienced forward Ollie Lake couldn’t take the edge off the best performance of the season by Wisbech Colts on Sunday. Against a visiting Newmarket side, never previously defeated by this team, Wisbech started and finished the game as the stronger side.

A strong start saw Wisbech take the lead after just 10 minutes with a try from No.8 Nathan Goodale, which was converted by Nick Thompsett. Newmarket then took control, running in three tries with some good handling by the backs. This left the score 7-19 at halftime, but just before the break, Newmarket were reduced to 14 men following a yellow card, and Wisbech lost flanker Ollie Lake with a serious knee injury which is likely to rule him out for several weeks.

After the restart, Wisbech pressured the Newmarket forwards with some well controlled ruck and maul work, keeping possession for long periods. Man of the match Sam Stearne, playing his first game at scrum-half, connected his pack and the backs well, which resulted in a try for skipper Reece Murdoch. Despite Newmarket running in another unconverted try with only eight minutes to play, the Wisbech team’s spirit and persistence paid off with two more tries, another from Nathan Goodale along with the first of the season for Tom Preston. This left the scores level and, with time expired, Nick Thompsett converted to give a two-point winning margin for Wisbech.

Cambourne 10, March Bears 13

LATE call offs meant March took only 15 players. but if the Bears wanted another further test of their progress they have made so far, then the big and experienced Cambourne were their ideal opponents.

After weathering an early onslaught the Bears had a couple of opportunities out wide with a revitalised backline, only for the last pass not going to hand.

Cambourne conceded a penalty but kicker Matty Day missed out before Bears suffered a set back when centre Lee Brooks received an ankle injury, mid way of the first half, and had to leave the field for about 15 minutes for treatment. Cambourne took advantage and scored two converted tries from positions out wide.

As March Bears began to take control the exchanges Cambourne Exiles began to get more frustrated conceding three penalties in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Matty Day converted the third to make it 10-3 On 63 minutes the ball was spun out wide and a patched-up Leigh Brookes took an inside pass just outside the 22. He cut inside the full back and scored under the posts. Matty Day kicked the conversion to level the scores at 10-10

This score sparked the big Cambourne pack to launch an onslaught on the March Bears defence,but heroic defence saw two potential tries held up over the line and another attack thwarted inches from the line.

From a resulting scrum inside the 22 scrum half Billy Yorke secured a messy ball enabling James Hilliard to push the ball out to the backs. In a flash they moved the ball through hands, sweeping left up the field to just outside the Cambourne Exiles 22.

In an effort to slow the ball down Cambourne Exiles gave a penalty away at the breakdown and from wide out Matty Day superbly converted the penalty to make it 13-10 with only five minutes of play left.

Exiles tried everything to get out of their own half, but tenacious tackling, denied them any room as March held on for the remaining minutes for another great victory. March Bears finished the match in imperious style for the second win in two weeks – a herculean effort from all the 15 Bears players.

March Bears are not in action this weekend, but training is still ongoing on Thursday evening and on Friday evening the club is having a team building night starting at 7pm.