March back on form

Share this article

March 1st 3, Pelicans 2

March returned to winning ways after a disappointing spell before Christmas had left them fighting for survival in Division 1.

Ed Batt, returning to the forward line, got the home side off to a great start with a subtle chip over the keeper after he was put through by Joel Gilmour.

The lead was doubled through Grant Gilmour from close range and the game was put beyond doubt when Joel Gilmour despatched a flick high into the net after Rob Mitchell had seen his pace rewarded with a professional foul.

The incidents were not over, and shortly after David Hodson got one right on the nose after a Mitchell cross had deflected off the keeper’s stick. A five minute lapse in concentration was enough for Pelicans to grab two goals back, but March held on to claim three vital points.

March 2nds 3,

St Ives 2nds 2

The first half started promisingly for March and after 20 minutes the deadlock was broken with a flick buried from Ben Sole.

The second half started to proceed at a more even pace with St Ives launching attacks, however March struck home again with a goal from Gary Howsam to send March into a 2-0 lead.

St Ives struck back twice to level and put the result into serious doubt. With a few minutes remaining March finally took a chance in front of goal thanks to Stu Mills, to finish the game 3-2. Man of the match was earned by John Mair, for his solid defending and good distribution of the ball from the back all game.

On Saturday March play Horncastle at home 2.30pm push back.

Camb Nomads 3rds 0, March 3rds 6

March soon took a firm grip on the game and held possession well to start craving out opportunities for their front line.

Goals in the first half came from James Fountain and James Fisher. The second period continued with March creating further chances and despite a sturdy defence from Cambridge, Ben Wright and Martin Todd got onto the score sheet.

On Saturday March travel to Spalding 3.30pm push back.