March close gap at top

March 1st 4,

Cambridge Nomads 0

March are now just two points off the top of the Division One table, after picking up another hard fought three points.

The game started with Nomads fierce in the challenge, but March did not let this get to them and used their superior skill and guile to overcome some questionable tactics.

A sharp breakaway saw Grant Gilmour curl a sumptuous pushed shot into the far corner of the goal to put March ahead.

The visitors enjoyed a little possession near half-time but fine saves from Simon Coe kept them at bay.

The second half began with March’s utility man Ed Batt pouncing on a loose ball in the D and drilling low and hard into the bottom corner.

Moments later stand in skipper Ash Welland saw Rob Mitchell making a dart forward and sent an aerial pass into his path and he won a short corner. Batt turned provider when he slipped it to Joel Gilmour who continued his scoring form by beating the keeper low at his near post.

Scotty Welcher capped a determined performance by winning the short corner that saw Batt’s drag flick parried by the keeper but straight into the path of an advancing Joel Gilmour who picked up his second goal.

March take on Waltham Forest this week looking for a win to take them top.

March 2nds 2,

Long Sutton 2nds 2

March survived a series of short corners before taking the lead with a breakaway goal neatly finished by Matt Lakey.

Long Sutton equalised shortly after from one of the numerous short corners. However just before half-time a deflected shot from Dan Shirley fell to Ben Sole who tucked the shot away to give March the lead at half-time.

Both sides continued to create chances in the second half and Long Sutton drew level from another short corner.

Matt Lynn (mom) produced a string of good saves in goal.

St Neots 3rds 1, March 4ths 2

March started with 10 men after Sam Shepherd went to the wrong ground and had the better of the early encounters with Paul Whitaker and David Woods causing problems.

March took the lead through a powerfully struck short corner from skipper Neil Liversedge.

St Neots saw more of the ball after the break but the March defence stood firm and almost against the run of play a ball from Shepherd found James Fountain whose timid strike wrong footed the keeper to find the empty net and seal a March victory.

March Ladies 4,

Bourne-Deeping 2

March had complete control of the first half of this fixture and the first goal came via an attacking move down the left wing with Suzanna Thomas scoring.

The second was a tap-in by Fran Plitsch which again was a move down the left wing. At the start of the second half Bourne levelled but within five minutes Nikki Wright had put March in front once more with an excellent solo goal. A fourth goal was scored by Hannah Odlin.