March pay for misses

Share this article

Bedford 2nds 3,

March Town 1st 3

March began the first half playing free-flowing hockey and passing crisply and took the lead through Rob Mitchell after his quick reactions to a rebound off the post.

Scotty Welcher doubled the lead when he embarrassed the Bedford keeper with a seductive chip.

Chance after chance fell March’s way throughout the first half but they lacked that killer instinct and calm and composure needed at this level.

March were always expecting Bedford to attack them in the second half and inevitably Bedford quickly reduced the lead to just one goal.

March were rattled and just couldn’t get control on the ball. Frustration was starting to kick in at the slow tempo and tempers flared occasionally.

Unsurprisingly Bedford equalised and March could not quite believe it after seemingly looking so comfortable in the first half.

As in the majority of the previous fixtures they had to rely on sheer determination and chances started to come as March won a few short corners and they almost took the lead when Batt found Mitchell at the far post only for his deflection to sail agonisingly over the crossbar.

Welland skipped past a couple of players and he fed the ball through to Welcher and he found Mitchell who despatched the ball through the keeper’s legs and thudding into the backboard.

Bedford then had a man sent off for climbing all over Welcher and high stick offences from Mitchell and Matty Wallis saw March reduced to nine men with about 15 minutes to play.

Bedford took full advantage of this and got the expected equaliser. and the game fizzled out towards the end with both sides taking a point.

It was a tough lesson for March who should have had this game wrapped up at half-time. This week they take on Upminster at the Neale Wade astro (1.30pm).

March 2nds 3, Boston 1st 1

March strode out the blocks straight from the whistle and scored via Charlie Boughton (mom) with the second attack of the game.

They started to move the ball through the midfield with accuracy and pace which Boston struggled to cope with, ultimately resulting in the second goal from Boughton.

Unfortunately the tempo dropped from the home side in the last ten minutes of the first half, allowing Boston back into the game and scoring from the first short corner they earned in the game. The second half started an even affair but March struck with a third goal from Hugh Whittome with a rifled shot to the bottom left hand corner.

This week March travel away to City of Peterborough.