March’s mauling helps reignite promotion bid

Ipswich 2nd 1, March 1st 5

MARCH’S first team have put themselves back in with a shot of back to back promotions with a mauling of Ipswich.

As soon as the first whistle blew March appeared to be the vastly superior side. Numerous short corners were won and it was Joel Gilmour who gave March an early lead.

Stalwart Rob Mitchell made it 2-0 moments later when he managed to conjure some space in the circle and finish coolly and added his second when he shimmied around a couple of tackles and fizzed a drive into the goal.

Ed Batt then found an unmarked Ash Welland at the far post and he made absolutely no mistake with the keeper in no man’s land to give a March a 4-0 lead at the break.

March came out in the second half evidently wanting to reserve some energy and gusto for next week’s visit of Cambridge Nomads.

They allowed Ipswich more space on the ball and they got a deserved goal midway through the second half.

Skipper James Mansfield got his first goal of the season to celebrate his birthday weekend in style and put March 5-1 up. They saw out the remainder of the game well and are four points off the top.

March 2nds 5, Spalding 2nds 0

Both sides started the game well, however March converted their chances and broke the deadlock with a goal from Stu Mills.

Further goals came from Charlie Boughton and Matt Wallis to take March into half-time three goals to the good.

March dominated the second half with a goal from Dan Shirley and Charlie Boughton finishing the game with a second, to leave March with a comfortable victory although a slightly flattering score line.

March 2nds 3,

Peterborough 6ths 3

Another close game versus Peterborough 6, with their direct style of hockey to the frontline proving effective yet again.

March started the game slowly with defensive errors handing Peterborough the opening goal and captain Ben Sole started to wonder whether two games in a weekend was asking too much.

However the home team fought back into the game with Adam Graham scoring from a short corner. Peterborough continued to apply pressure and scored two further goals, March struck back through Dan Shirley and again from Hugh Whittome to draw the game.

Wisbech 4ths 3, March 3rds 4

March began this local derby with only nine players and started slowly allowing Wisbech into an early 2-0 lead.

After 10 minutes March got up to full numbers and began to take hold of the game and two superb finishes from Dan Woods then got March back into it, one from open play and one from a short corner routine.

However March gave Wisbech another soft goal and went in at half time 3-2 down. After a change of formation due to injury, March began to play more good hockey and took hold of the game.

Halfway through the second half two quick goals set up a very good victory.

A sharp finish from James Fisher after a good save by the Wisbech keeper got March level, then within two minutes a through ball to James Fountain was calmly slotted by the advancing keeper to make it 4-3.

March then had the last 15 minutes to hold on and did so though a fine team effort. It was hard to pick a man of the match as it was a fine team performance from March and keeps their promotion hopes alive.

Sunday’s game against Rutland was cancelled and March received the three points making it a very exciting end to the season.

March Town 4th 2,

City of Peterborough 8th 4

March entertained a very young but very skilful City of Peterborough 8th X1 with both teams playing decent end to end hockey but also playing with a high level of sportsmanship.

March’s goals came from Matt Lynn, a goalkeeper making his seasonal debut on the pitch, and a rifle shot from Toby Odlin.