Point is lost after late goal hits Wisbech

Share this article

Harleston Magpies 2nds 3, Wisbech 2

A classic game of two halves saw Wisbech throw away an East Premier B point away in the dying minutes once again.

Wisbech started well but the game had the feel of two midtable teams playing for fun with little at stake. They took the lead when Dan Martell turned in Brad Apted’s pass at a short corner.

Wisbech then saw captain Joe Melton dismissed, very harshly after a tackle. The umpire said he had spoken to him earlier in the game but he had got the wrong player.

Wisbech held firm while their numbers were reduced and Melton exacted the perfect revenge when he converted a short corner on his return.

The second half saw a poor performance from Wisbech. They still created a number of chances but were always second best. Harleston increased the pressure and a two-goal salvo in the space of three minutes saw them draw level.

With the game in its final two minutes Wisbech gave the ball away deep in Harleston territory. The hosts swept up the pitch and caught Wisbech short at the back to scramble home an untidy winner.

Wisbech host relegated local rivals Pelicans on Saturday (2.30)

Wisbech 3rds 0,

Wisbech 2nds 2

Wisbech Seconds put in a solid team performance to take the three points and take them to safety from relegation.

The match was a close contest with few clear cut chances but Richard Claxton forced the keeper to make a good double save. The seconds had more possession, but still needed the central defensive combination of Nick Osborn and Drew Harvey to be on top form to stop the attacking threat of Claxton.

Matt Pooley added to a fine all round display in midfield by scoring a goal in each half. Both goals came from penalty corners with assists from Gary Freear. The seconds next game is at home to St Neots at 11.30am.

Wisbech 4ths 3 Alford 1sts 2

Alford trounced Wisbech earlier in the season 12-1 but they struggled to cope with the Wisbech passing and movement this time.

The game was open from the start and Wisbech newcomer Jordan Bannister opened his account with a good goal in the first half but it was still Aldford who went into the half-time break 2-1 up.

The second half was more of the same but Alford began to tire and when a shot was saved by a defender’s body with the goalkeeper still on the floor Howard Atkins converted the resulting penelty flick.

More good play followed with some good passing from Peter Shippey and Jonathan Boyall allowing the Wisbech youngsters to terrorise the Alford defence.

A pass from the side line took three touches as Jordan Bannister scored his second with a good first time slap on the far post to secure a good win for Wisbech.