Rob keeps run going

Hockey action March Town 1 v Upminster 1
Hockey action March Town 1 v Upminster 1

March Town 1st 3, Upminster 1st 1

Rob Mitchell hit a hat-trick to set up a comfortable win against lowly Upminster.

March expectedly began the stronger of the two sides and good work by David Hodson created the first goal, when his ball into Mitchell (MoM) was brought under control well by the seasoned pro and he dispatched a shot into the net leaving the Upminster keeper rooted to the spot.

March were hungry and pushed on for a second goal and Matty Wallis and Grant Gilmour both had chances.

But finally Ed Batt found Mitchell at the far post and he made no mistake to put the home side up 2-0. Upminster came back into the game and had a couple of chances towards the end of the first half and deservedly pulled one back with a reverse stick push.

Upminster came out fighting in the second half and had two chances but Simon Coe kept March in the ascendency with some acrobatics between the sticks. Upmintser lost a player to foul language and March took advantage to score their third goal.

Mansfield took a quick free hit just outside the 25 and found Mitchell to provide a deflection into the net. Unfortunately Richard West saw yellow for a mini tantrum.

March saw out the remainder of the contest without a scare, meaning the unbeaten run continues and they are now one of only five unbeaten teams in the top leagues this season. A great achievement and something they should be proud of.

Next weekend March meet Peterborough in a crunch game, with both sides vying for a place at the top of the table.

City of Peterborough 6ths 3,

March Town 2nds 2

March took control early on, however a series of “pinball” magic moments in the March defence allowed City of Peterborough to take the lead.

March pushed back straight away with slick passing from back to front allowing Charlie Boughton to punish Peterborough and levelled the scores.

Both sides continued the onslaught but yet again Peterborough, some would argue against the run of play, scored to make it 2-1 with five minutes to half-time. With a sense of justice Stu Mills “stepped up” to make it 2-2 with seconds to spare.

The second half started strongly for March with chances falling to either side. Peterborough broke the deadlock with a defensive error providing the opportunity.

The March captain was disappointed with the result but delighted with the hockey played by his side.

Man of the match was earned by David Hazelgrave for another solid performance.

This Saturday March 2nds are at home to St Neots 2nds.

March Town 3rds 8,

Bourne Deeping 3rds 0

March soon put pressure on the Bourne team, with possession being given away to James Fountain of March in the ‘D’ to tuck away the first goal of the game.

Fountain didn’t stop there, smashing his second past the Bourne Deeping keeper to make it 2-0. It was all one way traffic as Daniel Woods made it 3-0 soon after.

The March defence and keeper didn’t have much to do inside the first 20 minutes, with Fountain finding the back of the net for his hat-trick to make it 4-0 at half-time.

After the break March continued in control with further goals from Tom Cole, Jordan Hilliard, Fountain and James Fisher. March keeper Scott Bamford pulled off some fine saves to keep a clean sheet.

Next weekend March 3rds travel to Ely City for the first local derby of the season.

Cambridge South 3rds 7,

March Town 4ths 1

March had an uphill struggle against the league leaders when keeper Gary Sandford didn’t arrive and they had to play with 10 players.

After scratching around and finding some goalkeeping kit Mark Plitsch ably stepped up in between the sticks and performed admirably.

In the early stages of the game March traded blows evenly but Cambridge South soon made use of the extra man to set up a 4-0 lead at half-time.

March surprised Cambridge coming out strongly in the second half and scored first through a Neil Liversedge short corner. They continued to push forward looking to take the game to Cambridge. However in the last 10 minutes they began to tire and Cambridge added three more goals, all on the break.

Simon Welland again was amazing in defence, coming out with tackle after tackle of high quality.