Rob nets winner on return

Pelicans 1st 2,

March Town 1st 3

March continued their strong start in a bruising encounter with Pelicans with captain James Mansfield and the long-serving Rob Mitchell returning to the side.

It was against the run of play that Pelicans took the lead. A ball lashed across the D by their left winger was touched in at the far post.

A second goal was quick to follow from a short corner. David Hodson exploded off the goal line to block the initial shot, but the ball found its way to a Pelicans player and the ball was slotted in.

March felt aggrieved to be 2-0 down and were annoyed at the amount of dangerous and over-zealous challenges from the opposition. However, with minutes to go before half-time Ed Batt slipped the ball left at a short corner and Adam Graham confidently slotted the ball over the grounded Pelicans keeper into the net.

A half-time team talk motivated March as they knew they could go joint top with a win.

Ashley Welland and Scott Welcher were combining well and came close to bringing March level on a couple of occasions.

It was another move from this highly illustrious pair that brought March’s equalising goal. Welland, found by Welcher, shot hard and low at the keeper. The ball squirmed loose and Matty Wallis was on hand to scramble home.

Tempers flared momentarily when Hodson tangled with one of the opposition and March took the lead with ten minutes to go when the returning Rob Mitchell pounced onto a rebound off the post and showed why he should be first on the team sheet every week. Batt, Welland, Welcher and Mitchell all had chances to put the game out of reach but were denied by a string of saves from the Pelicans keeper.

Next week they take on Cambridge City 2’s looking to go clear at the top of the Division 1 table.

St Ives 3rds 0, March 2nds 9

March notched their first goal after just five minutes, with a penetrating shot deflected goalbound via Nick King.

Then came further goals from Jodi Betts, Matt Lakey and David Hazelgrave to make it 4-0 at the break.

March kept the tempo quick and created further chances, with Lakey poaching from one yard to take a brace, Betts and King, who posed a threat all game, both secured hat-tricks.

Man of the match David Hazelgrave epitomised the team work ethic and oozed quality. On Saturday March visit Horncastle.

March 3rd XI 5,

Cambs Nomads 3rds 0

March provided another solid performance, despite Nomads not fielding a full side, so complacency could not creep in.

The March captain was pleased to keep a clean sheet and with five goals. On Saturday they face Spalding 3rds at home.

March Town 4th 4,

St Neots 4th 4

March got their season off to a winning start in a game of two halves.

In the first half March took time to settle and as a fluid passing game disappeared St Neots were able to capitalise and took the lead.

March equalised on the break through Lewis Hilliard who scored a second against the run of play and then blazed one over the bar

St Neots started to impose their game and equalised from a short corner and took a 3-2 lead into half-time following a error.

The second half started and March really began to feel comfortable playing together. It was no surprise when March equalised with Hilliard completing his hat-trick in style. What was a surprise was when against the run of play St Neots scored from a short corner to regain the lead.

The tide turned in March’s favour and wave after wave of attacks started to penetrate the St Neots harbour with chance after chance sailing agonisingly close without success.

With five minutes to go March equalised, after clever stick work by David Woods the ball was cast into the danger zone, finding John Woods who did not let his son’s good work down by powering his shot into the bottom corner.

March travel to local neighbours Ely on Saturday.