Shield success

Share this article

Wisbech Rugby Club youth teams travelled to Spalding last Sunday to take part in a festival against over 40 teams from Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire.

The Wisbech U11 team had a good tournament coming away winners in the U11 shield final.

In their first game Wisbech narrowly lost 10-5 to an impressive Stamford side despite playing their best rugby of the season. Try scorer was Jack Wicks.

The second game was lost to a well drilled Spalding side 35-0.

To keep their hopes of qualification alive, the Wisbech lads gave it their all to beat Lincoln 5-0, scorers were Aaron Brundle, Max Smith and Luke Green.

They lost against local rivals Peterborough 15-10 (Jack Wicks and Brundle) then Wisbech had to win to qualify for the play offs, Brundle scored the only Wisbech try in a 5-0 win.

Wisbech came up against Peterborough in the final for the shield and had the edge 10-5, scorers were Cameron Finlay and Finlay Wilcox.

Wisbech U9s topped their group before losing out narrowly in the semi-final to the tournament winners Morley. Wisbech had a hard fought 10-5 win over Stamford, Ewan Samways and Ben Wilcox the try-scorers.

Wilcox scored again in a 5-5 draw with Morley Rhinos. Wisbech secured a comfortable 20-0 victory against Peterborough, Tim Bateman and Sam Howat grabbing a try each, Samways and Wilcox completed the scoring.

Facing Kesteven in their fourth match tries from Harry Holmes and Wilcox again delivered the win Wisbech needed to take the group.

In their semi-final Wisbech were unable to convert relentless pressure into points, losing 5-0.

Wisbech U8s were undefeated in their four games, which secured them a place in the cup final. They started off on the right foot with a 3-2 win v Peterborough, 6-4 win v Stamford Blue, 5-2 win v Spalding and a 4-3 win v Deepings.

Tries: William Paul (4), Freddie Riddington, Oliver Murdoch (4), Joshua Bell (5), Oliver Mann (2), Sam Randall and Jonathan Harding with fantastic running and tagging from Charlie Riddington, Rhys Swann and Billy Nurse.

The final saw them lose marginally to Stamford Yellow with William Paul, Sam Curwen and Oliver Murdoch scoring.