Sissons at the double

Long Sutton 3, Harpenden 0

Long Sutton gained three vital points as their upturn in form continued in this Premier B match.

Sutton created the early chances with good moves down the flanks just failing to find the finishing touch. Sutton were pleased to see the return of Jeremy Watt after injury to add his class and composure to the midfield. The hosts opened the scoring just before half time when Danny Sissons finished well on the reverse stick.

The second period opened with Sutton forcing a corner from which a defender somehow turned Josh Fyson’s bullet strike off the line but could only find Sissons who squared for Gary Hales to calmly finish.

The visitors then enjoyed a good spell but Sutton showed they are developing extra steel and held firm in the face of a number of corners. Andy Shore was once again outstanding and Fyson delivered probably his best defensive performance so far.

A third goal came on the break as the visitors keeper was left with little option but to pull down Hales and Sissons confidently dispatched the resultant penalty.

Long Sutton Mixed 4, Boots Mixed 3

Sutton fought well from the start but against the run of play Boots scored the first goal from a break in this first round of the Mixed Cup.

Near the end of the first half Sutton managed to equalise through Ben Shore, picking the ball off the keepers’ pads.

After the break Sutton came out strongly allowing Danny Sissons to score with a reverse from the top of the D. Unfortunatey Boots managed to scrape back an equaliser. Sissons netted his second goal after a fantastic solo run and Sutton increased their lead with a short corner strike from Jimmy Harrison that bobbled across the line.

Sutton allowed Boots to gain another goal but managed to hold on to their slender lead.

Cambridge University 2nds 3,

Long Sutton Ladies 2

Sutton started slowly, allowing Cambridge University to take a 2-0 lead in the first half.

After an enthusiastic half-time team talk Long Sutton hit back with some fantastic passing between Ali Hobson and Becky Kirman, that tore the Cambridge defence apart, Kirman scoring in the top corner.

Shortly after Holly Naismith dribbled round half of the Cambridge team, to lay the ball off to Ali Hobson to smash the ball home.

Against the run of play Cambridge managed to take the lead with a lucky goal and Sutton missed out whn failing to convert their many chances or short corners.

March 3rds 3, City of Peterborough 7ths 0

March got into their stride quickly and took the lead from a Ben Wright reverse stick shot from wide on the left.

Brian Fox made it two before the defence were put under some sustained pressure from Peterborough resulting in no fewer than six penalty corners, but they held fast and went into the break at 2-0.

The second half started much the same way with Peterborough forcing a string of penalty corners but again the March defence stood tall denying Peterborough.

A quick ball out of defense caught Peterborough short at the back and Fox was on hand for his second and March’s third. A good all round performance in what proved to be a tough battle.

Other scores: March Town 1st 1, Norwich City 2nds 2; City of Peterborough 4ths 3, March Town 2nds 2; City of Peterborough 8ths 4, March Town 4ths 3.

Wisbech 1st 5, Dereham 1st 5

League leaders Dereham survived a scare in a thrilling NE14 Hockey East Premier B encounter at Wisbech,

The contrast of the host’s open passing game and the long ball tactics of the visitor’s made for exciting attacking hockey.

Dereham took the lead when a short corner shot squeezed into the corner of the goal as. Wisbech equalised quickly through David Wood although Dereham felt aggrieved. The ball across was clearly lifted but the umpire deemed it not dangerous, a call that could have gone either way.

There was no doubt about the goal that gave Wisbech a half-time lead. Tom Jupp slammed a reverse stick shot in from an improbable angle and it went in off the far post. Wisbech started the second half well and were soon 3-1 ahead when Jon Shippey scored from a short corner.

Dereham rallied and had a goal disallowed before they pulled a goal back from a short corner. Wisbech struck back straight away though through Aaron Cobb to make the score 4-2.

Dereham then stunned Wisbech with a rapid comeback as yellow cards started to fly, with three for each side. Dereham scored three goals in quick succession to seize the lead again although the third clearly hit a foot in the build-up, missed by both umpires.

Wisbech battled back and Dan Martell won a short corner. From the corner Martell was just about to shoot when his stick was whacked from behind to win a penalty stroke. Jon Shippey converted and bring the scoreline to 5-5.

On Saturday Wisbech visit Ramgharia (1.30)

Wisbech 2nds 6, Horncastle 1sts 2

Wisbech knew they needed three points from this match and took control straight from the push back. The home team were on fire with some fine passing and were rewarded with three goals before half time. Sam Dunn scored early on from a penalty corner, Phil Norman added a second with a reverse stick strike, and then Gary Freear made it three with a neat flick.

The second half was more even as Horncastle rallied, but Wisbech continued to add to their goal tally. Lee Peck flicked into the corner of the goal and Gary Freear scored his second with a well struck shot after an open play scramble. Horncastle hit back with a goal from a short corner before Lee Peck completed his brace from short range after his initial shot rebounded off the post. Horncastle scored another goal from open play, but the match was over as a contest by then.

Wisbech hope to continue their good form in their next match away to Rutland 2nds.

Wisbech 3rd XI 1, St Ives 2nd XI 1

Wisbech fielded a young and much changed side and came away from the game with a creditable point.

The game was even throughout with Wisbech taking the lead early in the first half when Pete Shippey scored from a short corner. As the game went on both sides created several chances but good defending kept the score 1-0 for most of the game.

With two minutes to go St Ives where given a dubious short corner and scored to deny the hard working Wisbech all three points. Man of the match went to Gavin Plume who controlled the back line.

St Neots 3rds 3, Wisbech 4ths 4

Wisbech had a much changed side due to call ups to higher sides in the club. This led to a slow start before the passing got up to speed and the first goal came as a short corner from Howard Atkins was converted.

There was another goal from Dom Stannard and his reverse stick before a clever deflection from Jonathan Boyall made it 3-1 at half-time. The second half was a more even affair and despite two goals from the home side a goal from Hugo Atkins gave Wisbech a well deserved win.

On Saturday it is Spalding (h) 11.30am

Ipswich & East Suffolk 0,

Wisbech Town Ladies 3,

Wisbech returned to winning ways with a convincing performance in their League game. The Town opened the scoring swith an attack down the right flank and a strong hit into from Jodi Peggs the ‘D’ gave Erika Burrell the first goal.

Ipswich put a lot of pressure on their right and many of their attacks came from this side, however with little success in penetrating the Wisbech defence.

With one goal separating the two teams at half-time Wisbech were determined to leave victorious. Possession hockey in the midfield from Wisbech led to a penalty corner and Roma Coates slotted home the second goal. The home side started to retaliate and at times looked like they might score but another attack and good teamwork allowed a solid pass from Apted to set Georgie Dunn up for a 3-0 win.

On Saturday Wisbech are at home to Norwich Dragons 1pm

Wisbech Town Ladies 2, Broxbourne 1

Wisbech took the lead in this third round cup-tie on Sunday with hard work from attacker Georgie Dunn setting up Lisa Williamson score.

A second goal was came close to half time from from a penalty flick converted by Wisbech defender Sue Slator.

The second half saw Broxbourne turn on the heat and a strong attack into the ‘D’ gave them the goal to put them back in contention, although the shot was soft and did not match their strength in attack.

Wisbech were not quite as structured in formation as they normally are, however they were able to maintain the lead and progress to the next round of the cup.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 0,

Cambridge Univ 3rds 5

Wisbech came up against third placed Cambridge University and player of the match goalkeeper Alice Murray kept them in the match.

It was hard work in a strong wind but Wisbech never gave up. Ali Mason and Katie Dunn both did well. The first ten minutes of the second half gave a glimpse of the kind of hockey Wisbech can play.

Wisbech are now third from bottom and both teams below have a game in hand and they face a crucial game on Saturday at home to bottom placed Huntingdon at 4pm.