Super Sam continues scintillating form

Wisbech 5, Ramgarhia 3

Promotion chasing Ramgarhia had their East Premier B title hopes dented with defeat at Wisbech.

Wisbech made a fantastic start and swamped Ramgarhia with quick passing and flowing attacks. Crowd favourite Gary Freear opened the scoring with a wonderful goal. He picked the ball up at the top of the circle, beat two defenders and lifted the ball over the keeper. Bradley Apted added a second soon after but for the rest of the half Wisbech found themselves on the back foot.

Matthew Levanda, outstanding as ever, blocked the first two Ramgarhia short corners. Wisbech knew that this would be the main source of threat from their visitors and so it proved. They scored the next three to take the lead 3-2 at half-time.

Wisbech lifted themselves after the break. They spent long periods in the Ramgarhia half and Apted and Sam Blunt had a few sighters at goal. Again the Ramgarhia threat was from short corners but a brilliant Ben Allsop clearance and a flying save from James Sheppard kept Wisbech in the contest.

Enter Sam Blunt and the diminutive winger who has been in scintillating form since Christmas, added another hat-trick to his growing collection. All three were different and showed the versatility of the youngster. One was a close range tap in, one a drag flick from a short corner and saving the best until last he hammered a reverse stick shot into the far corner from the edge of the circle.

The final score of 5-3 did not flatter Wisbech, who could feel thoroughly pleased with their day’s work.

This week they visit bottom of the table St Ives who are desperate for points in their battle to avoid the drop (2pm).

St Ives 2nds 1,

Wisbech Town 2nds 3

Wisbech bounced back from last week’s disappointment with a fine team performance.

They took the lead with a perfect counter attack, Karle Belding and Alan Hanrahan combining to set up Lee Peck. However, some slack Wisbech defending allowed St Ives to equalise before half-time.

Wisbech were fortunate to regain the lead when a Sam Dunn penalty corner strike deflected off two St Ives defenders into the goal. St Ives pressed for a second equaliser and only some smart goalkeeping by Simon Freear kept Wisbech 2-1 up. St Ives committed players forward and Wisbech secured the win with another breakaway goal with Hanrahan playing in Hugo Atkins to score.

On Saturday the seconds host Cambridge South 1 at 2.30pm.

Wisbech 3rds 5, St Neots 1st 2

Wisbech quickly went a goal down before the home side woke up and started to dominate the field of play.

With Matt Pooley and Dom Stannard in control of the middle of the pitch, the pressure started to tell and Wisbech won a succession of short corners which Stannard and Howard Atkins put away in quick order to go 2-1 up.

The goals then started to follow with a brace from Paul Swinburn to take the score to 4-1 at half time.

Wisbech continued to dominate in the second half with James Williams having lots of space on the right and putting in cross after cross without Wisbech getting on the end of them. It finally fell to Stannard to crush St Neots hopes of a late revival with a powerful strike.

This Saturday it is Cambs South (a).

Louth 1st 2, Wisbech 4ths 1

Wisbech produced some of their best hockey of the season against a very talented side and deserved at least a point.

They had many chances but their only goal came from a family one-two with Josh Shippey finding the corner of the goal.

Once again Bill Garner made many top drawer saves, and in only his first season is one for the future.

Wisbech Ladies 1st 0, Canterbury 2nds 3

Wisbech played much better hockey in this game against second in the league on Saturday with one of the best performances of the season.

They held Canterbury at 0-0 at half-time, however Wisbech were unlucky to concede three unfortunate goals in the second half, one of which was on the whistle for full time. Player of the match was Steph Hanlon.

Wisbech Ladies 1st 2,

Ipswich 2nds 2

On Sunday Wisbech started very brightly and went 1-0 up after a well worked cross by Hannah Strickle led to Georgie Dunn scoring.

In the second half Wisbech continued to battle hard but were unlucky to concede a short corner which Ipswich converted. This did not deter Wisbech and not long after Verity Allen drove down the left wing and crossed the ball in from the base line to allow Georgie Dunn to convert her second of the game.

Wisbech were heading for three points until right near the close of play when the umpire awarded a dubious penalty stroke to Ipswich and they sealed the game with a draw.

Player of the match was Alysha Moat.

St Ives 5,

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 3

Wisbech Ladies disappointingly dropped one place to fifth in the league following this defeat.

Wisbech goalkeeper Tina Forder (pom) was first class, especially so as she is normally an outfield player and the goal keeping stick was missing from the Wisbech kit bag!

Goals for Wisbech were scored by Hannah Strickle, Emma Baker and Alice Wong.

Lou Sandall made a huge contribution.

Maddy Boulton made her club debut and was excellent at right back, showing flexibilty to cope with the loss of two players to injury as Wisbech were reduced to 10 players at one point.

This Saturday it is away at Newmarket.