Super show helps boost confidence

Share this article

St Ives 2, Long Sutton 1st 4

The trophy win last Sunday seemed to give Sutton new confidence as they picked up their first league win of the season at St Ives on Saturday.

Sutton started the brighter, with great work from Ashley Taylor finding lots of space down the right and deservedly opened the scoring through the impressive Josh Fyson, smashing in a short corner rebound.

They lost Featherstone to injury after 15 minutes, which meant in the remainder of the game Sutton played without a sub. St Ives looked dangerous on the counter attack, soon equalised and then added a second to go in front.

This didn’t dent Sutton’s confidence and it was no surprise when the impressive Gary Hales equalised after some great work by Ellis and Taylor.

Sutton then added a third with the solid Andy Shore ‘directing’ Sisson’s shot into the goal.

After the break Sutton began to dominate possession and Fyson added his second of the game and again a thunderbolt from a short corner to put Sutton 4-2 up. St Ives went down to nine but still threatened on the break but the excellent Sutton defence thwarted everything. A superb performance from Sutton who face Wisbech, 1pm, Peele Leisure Centre this Saturday.

Long Sutton 2nds 9, Alford 1st 0

After putting in some great performances over the last few games for little reward, Sutton finally achieved a scoreline their excellent play warranted.

A fantastic all round performance from the team with nine goals in total gave Alford a very difficult afternoon. With a personal tally of six goals, Ben Shore announced a return to form in front of goal in a spectacular way, while Bailey, Fox and Lovegrove made up the rest of the scorers.

Excellent teamwork, committed play and clinical finishing will hopefully give the team a springboard to put a run of results together. Player of the Match: Ben Shore.

Long Sutton 3rd 5,

Long Sutton 4th 3

Sutton’s thirds and fourths enjoyed a well fought match with some good hockey played by both sides in this friendly.

Andy Clarke scored four goals for the thirds with one from Shane Thompson, while the 4ths scorers were Andrew Blom 2 and Matt King.

Both sets of players played well and the junior players who took part showed that they will not be embarrassed when they are able to play in league matches. Both goalkeepers made numerous good saves and hopefully both teams will take something into their next league fixtures.

Long Sutton Ladies 1st 5,

Cambridge City Ladies 3rds 0

During the first 10 minutes Sutton had a major loss, with Sally Cade leaving the pitch injured and replaced with Hannah Greenacre who was named player of the match for her excellent effort in defence.

Even though Sutton did not seem their normal selves they managed to go into half-time 3-0 up. The first goal came from a short corner that Melissa Ludlam deflected into the top of the net, the second from Charlene Leuty and the third came from a shot at the top of the ‘D’ by Ludlam that Robyn Gribble ensured crossed the line.

During the second half Sutton seemed to bombard the City defence, seeing a horde of short corners. Sutton did manage to put two of these away, both times seeing Ludlam knock the ball in on rebounds.

The rest of the second half saw a very attacking Sutton, with Sophie Hart making some fantastic runs down the wing and Jess Hudson and Leanne Woodhead completing some penetrating runs down the wings.

Long Sutton Ladies 2nds 0,

Lincoln Roses 2nds 2

Long Sutton fought hard and played most of the match in the opposition half but two quick breaks by Roses sealed their win.

Sutton’s midfield worked hard and Emma Howells’ crosses were wasted by Sutton’s forward line. Sutton failed to convert a penalty flick and this was the story of the game.

Roses defended well, but Sutton were disappointed with their loss. Player of the match was Helen Worth.