Sutton shine with best display of season

Share this article

Long Sutton 1st 4,

Harleston 2nd 2

Sutton put in their finest performance of the season on Saturday and showed the spectators what they are capable of.

Magpies scored from a short corner and went into half time leading 1-0.

From the restart Sutton exploded into a frenzy of exhilarating hockey. Sisson and Cook were outstanding on the wings while Bailey constantly found space and caused Magpies problems.

Andy Shore equalised after good work from Bailey and then Sutton took the lead when Harrison found Bailey whose deflection found Hales who slotted home.

Sutton’s awesome defence thwarted anything Magpies had to offer and then the ball fell to Sisson who ghosted past a couple of players. Ellis met him at the top of the D to unleash a scorching thunderbolt into the Magpies net.

Then came the best goal when Shore found Nellis who fed the ball to Bails. Bails and Cook danced around the Magpies defence with a sequence of beautiful one-two hockey with Cook feeding Hales who finished exquisitely for his second and making it 4-1.

Magpies scored a second, but never looked like disrupting Sutton’s onslaught.

Long Sutton 2nd 3

St Ives 2nd 4

Sutton lost several key players to injury, sickness and promotion to the 1st team, players were thin on the ground, but the players who stepped up to the plate proved their worth.

The game was end to end and several times Sutton looked like scoring, however it was St Ives that took the lead with an individual goal. Sutton fought back hard and drew things level.

St Ives then made it 3-1 with two goals from short corners, however Sutton’s Ben Shore scored with a well-placed drag flick from Sutton’s own short corner and a good field goal from third team regular Jason Mallett.

St Ives pushed on to score a very well worked individual fourth, at this point with less than 20 minutes remaining on the clock,

Long Sutton 3rd 0,

Grantham 1st 3

Long Sutton lost out in this top of the table clash against a very strong Grantham side, whose only defeat this season had been against Sutton in the reverse fixture.

Grantham started well and took the lead early in the first half from a shot deflected past the Sutton keeper. In spite of this, Sutton showed a great team spirit in restricting the score to 1-0 at half time.

Sutton came into the game more in the second half and with a little more luck could have easily equalised, however the result was decided with the sucker punch of two quick goals for Grantham which gave them a 3-0 win.

Special mention should go to Dave Maris, Brad Sargeant and man of the match Calvin Bishop.

Long Sutton Ladies 1st 2,

City of Peterborough 2nd 2

Long Sutton moved to the top of the table with these points, but they started the game slowly and struggled to create goalscoring chances in the first half. Peterborough took the lead from a short corner.

After a strong half-time team talk Sutton came out determined and focused and tore apart the Peterborough defence and created numerous chances.

Their first goal came from Sarah Walker who slotted the ball home from a short corner. The second came from a brilliant solo run from Leanne Woodhead to smash the ball home from the top of the D.

Jess Hudson (pom) had an amazing run through the field, but was very unlucky to hit the post. In the dying seconds of the game, Peterborough had one last attack before the final whistle, in the form of a short corner.

This led to some very heated play seeing two Long Sutton players receiving yellow cards for questioning the umpires’ decisions.

After three short corners in succession, Sutton were unlucky to receive a penalty flick against them and the equaliser followed.