Tactical change sparks Wisbech

Wisbech 4, Harpenden 2

Wisbech went into the Christmas break with an unconvincing win against East Premier B basement boys Harpenden on the Wisbech Grammar School pitch.

The visitors took an early lead, but Wisbech were soon back on level terms when Joe Melton converted a penalty stroke.

Sam Markille put Wisbech ahead when he deflected Drew Harvey’s shot. Harpenden were soon level though, converting a controversial short corner.

Wisbech made a tactical change at half time and their second half performance was vastly improved as a result.

They created plenty of chances but failed to convert any.

Just as it was starting to look as Harpenden might hold out for a draw Gav Johnstone settled Wisbech nerves, smashing the ball home. Sam Blunt scored a fourth goal from close range to put the game beyond Harpenden’s reach.

Peterborough 4ths 4,

Wisbech 3rds 0

Wisbech travelled to promotion chasers Peterborough and, unlike previous weeks, fought hard from the very start of the game.

Some good midfield play and some good saves from Simon Freear in the Wisbech goal kept the score to 0-0 at half time.

An injury to George Carter on the stroke of half time meant that Wisbech had to change positions around and this allowed Peterborough to start the second half with more possession and this inevitably led to some well taken goals.

Wisbech struggled to create many chances throughout the match but Hugo Atkins was the outstanding forward trying to walk the ball home.

Next fixture v Pelicans (a) on January 7.

Bedford 1st 7,

Wisbech Ladies 1st 0

WIsbech’s poor run of results continued this season to leave them bottom of the table at Christmas with just four points.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 3,

City of Peterborough 3rds 1

Wisbech moved to the top of Pool A in the Cambridgeshire League Cup on Saturday.

Gilly Dunn, player of the match, scored a hat-trick in the first half which gave the team a cushion for the second half when Peterborough pulled a goal back.

Alice Murray was confident in goal making sure Wisbech held on to a well deserved win. A fourth goal was disallowed after it was deemed to have been struck outside of the shooting area.