Three-goal salvo ends hopes

Share this article

Wisbech 3 Crostyx 5

Wisbech fell to a second successive East Premier B defeat in an eventful match with London based Crostyx who took an early two goal lead.

The game really exploded into life midway through the second half. Firstly a Crostyx player was shown a yellow card for playing the ball above his shoulder. One of the umpires stopped play as his colleague had tripped and cracked his head on the pitch. He continued after a break.

The game was stopped for a second time when winger Sam Blunt was flattened and carried from the pitch. His assailant was shown a yellow card. Within 30 seconds Aaron Cobb was shown a yellow card for a foul.

Bradley Apted gave Wisbech hope with a breathtaking reverse stick goal. Before the restart the umpire who had fallen felt unable to continue, replaced by a suitably qualified replacement who was watching.

Almost immediately Wisbech equalised. Dan Martell did well in the corner and crossed for Sam Markille to score from close range.

Crostyx’s salvo of three quick goals put the game out of Wisbech’s reach. Wisbech captain Jon Shippey was yellow carded for a bad tackle and Apted turned in a weak Martell effort for a late consolation.

Wisbech travel to Colchester on Saturday and begin their EHA Trophy campaign on Sunday at home to Sudbury (1pm).

Wisbech Town 2nds 8, Cambridge South 2nds 1

Wisbech took control of the game from the start and were five goals up by half-time, Sam Dunn and Karl Belding each scoring from penalty corners, Dave Webster scoring two and Gary Freear another from open play.

Wisbech were disappointed not to keep a clean sheet, but the result was never in doubt as Drew Harvey, Webster and Belding each added another goal to the Wisbech total.

Next weekend Wisbech expect a tougher test away to early season pacesetters Spalding 1.

St Ives 2nds 3, Wisbech 3rds 4

Wisbech bagged their first win of the season.

Early on in the game it was all Wisbech but a quick breakaway allowed St Ives to open the scoring. Wisbech replied through a fierce strike at a penalty corner from Howard Atkins and a great goal from Richard Claxton.

St Ives struck back with a deflected goal at a penalty corner to level 2-2 at half-time.

In the second half Richard Claxton scored two more goals, one a roof of the net strike after a superb solo run, and a neat touch from a nearly impossible reverse stick cross from Hugo Atkins. St Ives scored another penalty corner but Wisbech held on to gain ninth place in division 3NW.

Next weekend: v Cambridge South (h) 2.30pm start.

Wisbech Ladies 0, St Albans 2

Wisbech started brightly and continued to keep the visitors at bay and battled hard to move the ball up the pitch and create chances. However St Albans took their opportunities when they arose and at half-time they were leading by two goals.

Throughout the second half Wisbech looked the more dangerous team and constantly kept the pressure up on the St Albans goal but could not make up the two goal deficit. Jo Bland was PoM. Next weekend Wisbech travel away to West Herts.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 3,

Rutland Ladies 3

In a game of two halves Wisbech started strongly and within a short time went 1-0 up with a well worked goal from Gilly Dunn followed up by Lou Sandall converting a short corner.

Rutland, second in the League, came out a different side and took the lead 3-2 until Jodi Peggs converted a neat pass from Sandall. Liz Manning returned to achieve 40 years of playing hockey for the club with excellently timed tackles at left back.

Player of the match: Jodi Peggs.

Thanks to Gary Freear who was being observed as the umpire and passed with flying colours to become a level one qualified umpire.

That leaves Wisbech 4th in the Cambs Ladies League with a game in hand. On Saturday Wisbech play Cambridge University Thirds away.