Title hopes fading away

Ipswich YMCA 35pts,

Wisbech 21pts

Wisbech’s season has totally come off the rails with a comprehensive defeat away to Ipswich on Saturday, which virtually hands the league to arch rivals Cantabs who are now four points ahead with a game in hand.

Once again Wisbech had selection problems with fly half Will Petitt out with an ankle injury and influential inside centre Jon Turner not available and hooker Nathaniel Humphreys did not travel although he turned out for the second team at home.

The first half was a fairly even encounter with Wisbech guilty of giving away possession which saw the home team take advantage with an early lead from an unconverted try.

Wisbech’s penalty count started to increase and the home side slotted over two penalties before Wisbech rallied when Joe Barfoot’s blistering pace saw him cross the line. Claydon converted and Wisbech were in the game at 11-7 at half-time.

However in the second half Wisbech lost their self control and discipline as both props Dave Lamacraft and James Griffin were sin binned within five minutes of each other.

Now down to 13 men, Wisbech conceded two converted tries and were forced on the back foot against a well drilled set of forwards. They did improve in the last quarter and Barfoot scored his second converted try, but the home side fought back to score a further two tries as Wisbech tried to apply pressure.

A Shane Vickers try reduced the arrears but Wisbech were well beaten.

Manager Cliff Humphreys said: “We are secure in second place and have got three of our remaining four games at home. The best we can now really look to achieve as far as promotion is concerned is to win the promotion play-off game against the runners up in the Essex League.”

Wisbech 2nds 19pts, Wymondham 2nds 3pts

WISBECH were able to battle through an ill-tempered fixture with an important victory to move towards the top of Woodfordes Norfolk Division 1.

Wymondham’s scrum-half was sin binned for punching but unfortunately Wisbech were unable to capitalise on their numerical advantage. As a result Wymondham led 3-0 at half-time.

After some strong words from captain Oliver Mackett, Wisbech raised their game. Nathaniel Humphreys led from the front playing a part in each of Wisbech’s three tries in the second half with Steven Priest, Tim Mason and Johnno Blunt touching down. Priest converted two of the tries.

There were some stand out performances from young heads like man of the match Kerrie McMullen, who is improving week in week out, going toe-toe with props nearly twice his age.