Top that! Four-goal Wisbech lead way

editorial image
Share this article

Wisbech Town Ladies 4, St Ives 1

Table-topping Wisbech Ladies found themselves 1-0 down within the first 10 minutes to put them on the back foot.

They quickly re-grouped and some strong attacks from back to front enabled Georgie Dunn to level the game at half time.

Some positional difficulties were resolved at the break and Wisbech played the hockey that has kept them unbeaten this season.

A surge down the left from Claire Apted provided the next ball for Jane Peggs to put Wisbech in the lead 2-1.

St Ives did play some good hockey with many of their attacks coming from the middle which tested the home team’s defence and keeper, Alysha Moat, was forced into some crucial saves to keep her team ahead.

Dunn was on form to score her second goal and Wisbech were back in the driving seat from then on, passing the ball through midfield and side to side eventually to close the game with a thundering strike from Apted to finish the game 4-1.

This weekend Wisbech have two home games, on Saturday a League game against Cambridge City 2 (1pm) and on Sunday a cup game against Newark (noon).

Wisbech 3

City of Peterborough II 5

Wisbech suffered their first home defeat of the season as they re-started their NE14 Hockey East Premier B campaign after a long and cold winter break.

Peterborough were a well organised side and were on top for long periods as Wisbech struggled to find their form after the lay off. Wisbech held out for 20 minutes before a salvo of three Peterborough goals stunned them.

Wisbech began the second half better but once again conceded possession cheaply and were punished with a fourth Peterborough goal.

The shock seemed to spur Wisbech on and they gave Peterborough a real scare. Joe Melton began the fight back when he stabbed home during a goalmouth scramble. Tom Jupp finished superbly as Wisbech’s comeback began to gain momentum.

Dan Martell scored a third to give Wisbech real hope but a late Peterborough short corner extinguished this.

This weekend Wisbech visit Long Sutton (1pm)

Rutland 2nds 3,

Wisbech town 3rds 1

Wisbech had the best of the first 20 minutes, creating several early chances, and after a great passing move, Matt Goodwin found Richard Claxton free and he finished coolly for his first goal of the season.

The home side then came into the game strongly and scored two goals both from short corners. In the second half the game opened up with lots of good chances at either end, Wisbech missed a couple of golden oppourtunities to draw level and Rutland made them pay, scoring a third goal with a neat finish.

Man of the match went to Tom Peggs who played as a emergency goalkeeper and made a number of very good saves.

Wisbech Men’s 4ths 2,

Peterborough 7ths 3

At the start Wisbech pressed forward and forced a short corner which Edward Atkins slotted home. The rest of the first half was all Wisbech with some good passing creating several more chances which went begging.

It was up to Hugo Atkins to score the second pouncing on a loose ball in front of goal. Peterborough managed to score one in return despite some strong defending from Wisbech man of the match Roger Goode.

The second half was a reversal of fortunes with Peterborough passing more fluently and frequently catching Wisbech on the break. This resulted in two home goals that allowed Peterborough to take the game by the narrowest of margins.

The next game is against Cambridge South (a) 11.45.