Town in ten-try Vase romp

Wisbech v Thetford rugby action
Wisbech v Thetford rugby action
Share this article

Wisbech 66, Thetford 12

Wisbech marched into the next round of the RFU Junior Vase scoring 10 tries against Eastern Counties 2 leaders Thetford in the third round on Saturday.

Wisbech v Thetford rugby action

Wisbech v Thetford rugby action

On paper it looked to be a very convincing win, and Wisbech were the superior side, but there are one or two gremlins which are creeping into the side especially in the forwards as Thetford’s pack made life difficult for Wisbech.

Wisbech were virtually at full strength and scored within the first five minutes when hooker Nathaniel Humphreys was on hand to go over in the corner. Mark Laws narrowly missed the conversion.

However sloppy play allowed the visitors to mount some counter attacks. Wisbech conceded a number of penalties at the breakdown from which Thetford slotted over once. Once again the Wisbech back line looked impressive with the ball in hand.

On 15 minutes inside centre Jon Turner burst onto the ball and scored a converted try under the posts. The visitors added another penalty before skipper Shane Vickers got onto the score sheet, and another penalty conversion saw the visitors add to their points tally.

On the half hour Mark Laws added a try when he came into the line, but yet again Wisbech conceded another penalty and gave away 30 metres for back chatting the referee. However by half time Turner added his second try to give Wisbech a comfortable 31-12 lead.

After a stern half time talk Wisbech improved their discipline and shortly after the break back row Tom Martell scored under the posts.

Vickers added his second try of the day before Joe Barfoot completely outpaced Thetford with a solo effort as he gathered the ball on his 22 metres to score. Turner rounded off his day with a hat trick of tries and Barfoot bagged his second try. With Laws converting all five second half tries Wisbech remain on course for the league and Vase double.

“We were very sloppy in the first half,” said manager Cliff Humphreys, “and our discipline was very poor. We must learn to work with the referee.”

Wisbech next weekend host Crusaders in the league, kick off 2.15pm and it is their chance to go top as this is their game in hand over Cantabs. On December 10 Wisbech travel to Cantabs for a top of the table clash.

Humphreys said: “Will Pettit picked up a back injury and we will have to assess him later in the week as we will need him to be fit for Cantabs.”

Holt 2nds 8 Wisbech 2nds 5

Wisbech will be disappointed with the result as they took the upperhand in the first half but with several kicks at goal going wide and squandered chances with ball in hand meant that the scores were 0-0 at half-time.

Holt scored the first try in the 60th minute when they won a scrum against the head and chipped over for their winger to get ahead of a slow to react backline and touch down, the conversion was missed.

Wisbech replied within 10 minutes when they decided to run the ball from a penalty from the 22. Youngster and man of the match Reece Murdoch smashed through two tackles and then showed great pace to finish it off. Sam Anderson missed the conversion.

Holt immediately took the lead against the run of play with a penalty from under the sticks.

Wisbech failed to create any further chances. Nobby Clarke and Agris both had stand-out games in the forwards against a much larger pack and Ricky Harnwell was solid on the wing.