Town take control from start

Wisbech Town 1st 5, Havering 1st 2

TOP of the table Wisbech were well marshalled well from the back by skipper Jonathan Shippey and the rugged James Mansfield as they took control from the first whistle.

Sublime first time passing from Daniel Martell and Ed Batt opened up the Havering back line, which allowed Sam Blunt to get a snap shot away and the ball deflected off a helpless defender’s stick into the net.

Moments later Batt started a move just inside the Wisbech half by feeding Brad Apted on the left wing, whose first time pass found Aaron Cobb whose ball inside found Batt who finished by firing into the bottom corner.

Martell exploited space around the opposition’s circle and won a whole mess of penalty corners, of which Sam Blunt scored two.

The second half began with Havering coming out all guns blazing. They grabbed a quick goal with sloppy defending gifting space to the Havering centre forwards to work well together and finish. The lead was cut again when the Essex outfit executed a well worked short corner routine after the ball struck Ben Allsop’s foot in the circle.

Calmness and composure were required from the home side and good work from Ash Welland and Gary Freear holding the ball up towards the twilight end of the game, enabled Wisbech to stay in the ascendancy. Blunt added his fourth of the game and Wisbech’s fifth moments before the final whistle.

This Saturday they make the long trip to London outfit Crostyx.

Cambridge University 1st 6, Wisbech Town 1st 2

Wisbech lost out in the HA Cup to a very good University side on Sunday.

The deadlock was broken 15 minutes in when lacklustre defending from Wisbech allowed a University forward to ghost in and slot home. This had a devastating effect on the visitors as they went on to ship a further two goals before the break.

A stern half-time team talk from Wisbech manager Al Hanrahan, saw them come out strongly in the second half but it was the students who extended their lead to 4-0 with a well worked short corner routine.

Wisbech managed to get themselves back into the game when Ed Batt won a short corner after he was felled in the circle by a cynical block. Brad Apted found the returning Gavin Johnstone who slotted in at the far post.

It was another short corner from this pair again that saw Wisbech grab their second goal.

University saved their best goal until last when a swift move from their back line to the forwards with five passes saw a deft deflection.

Wisbech Town 2nds 2, 
St Neots 1st 0

Wisbech made it three wins in three league matches.

They took the lead mid-way through the first half after an excellent series of short sharp passes down the right.

Wisbech had to be patient for their second goal. The home team earned a number of penalty corners, but the application was poor and came to nothing. Wisbech closed out the match with another goal from open play, but only after surviving St Neots best opportunity.

On Saturday Wisbech host early pace setters Newmarket 1 (2.30pm).

Newmarket 1st 9, 
Wisbech Town 3rds 2

Wisbech lost out to the league 3NW high flyers who have scored 15 goals in two games this season.

For the first half Wisbech fought really hard and it was only down to two well worked penalty corners and a penalty flick.

The Wisbech goal came from some slick passing that had Newmarket chasing shadows. It was a great solo effort from Tim Atkins who found the net.

The second half was more of the same and when Wisbech passed they were outstanding, another goal came when a Wisbech penalty corner was put home by Howard Atkins.

Unfortunately as Wisbech tired the constant flow of Newmarket attackers produced a further six goals.

Next game v Cambs City 4ths (a) 2.30 start