Turning up the heat in try spree

Wisbech 73pts, Broadlands 3pts

A sizzling performance by Wisbech as they ran in 11 tries on a very hot day.

Right from the kick off Wisbech hit top gear scoring their first try on five minutes when Phil Martell broke through a covering tackle on the visitors’ 10-metre line. Shaun Vickers added the first of his nine conversions.

A few minutes later again after an impressive backs move Joe Barfoot scored. Wisbech pack were in total control of the forward battle which laid the foundation for this impressive victory. Jon Turner and Shane Vickers added the third and fourth tries as Wisbech secured a bonus within 20 minutes.

Broadlands added a penalty, their only score, before Wisbech finished off the half with three further tries: Barfoot’s second of the afternoon, James Napier and Will Pettit also crossing the try line. At the break Wisbech led 47-3.

Wisbech brought on Mark Laws for Barfoot and Chris Dorling for Iwan Jones for the second half and were forced to defend early on.

However the defence held out and in the final 20 minutes centre Jon Turner powered his way to a brace of tries giving him a hat-trick before hooker Nathaniel Humphreys showed a remarkable turn of pace to score the only forwards’ try of the day. Napier rounded off the try feast.

Team manager Cliff Humphreys said: “It was an excellent performance. In extremely warm conditions to score 11 tries, of which 10 were scored by the backs, is text book rugby.

“Everyone in the squad is committed to regaining promo-tion.”

Wisbech are away to Woodbridge this weekend

Wisbech 2nds 5pts,

Norwich Medics 13pts

Wisbech started the game on the back foot and conceded an unconverted try within the first five minutes and they added a penalty to make it 0-8 at half-time.

The second half was much better as Wisbech slowly started to take control with captain Oliver Mackett leading from the front. They got on the scoreboard when Sam Anderson chipped the ball into the corner and Greg Brownlow showed good pace to touch down.

The conversion was narrowly missed from the touchline. Despite looking to have turned the game around Wisbech conceded a sloppy try late on.