Wisbech are beaten by last-gasp goal

Share this article

Letchworth 1sts 4,

Wisbech 3

WISBECH lost a competitive and at times ill-tempered game to the very last hit.

Letchworth took an early two goal lead but some of their antics antagonised the umpires and they finally saw a player yellow carded.

Wisbech took advantage to draw level with goals from Drew Harvey and Daniel Martell.

Wisbech more than matched their promotion chasing opponents but fell behind again in the second half.

Captain Joe Melton had been shown a yellow card for a poor challenge and Wisbech conceded a short corner which Letchworth converted.

A perfect ball from David Wood and a cool finish from Aaron Cobb brought Wisbech level again before Brad Apted hit the post from a narrow angle.

The last few seconds saw Letchworth win a short corner and convert the rebound to take the points.

Next weekend Wisbech host Harpenden (2.30).

Cambridge Nomads 2nds 7,

Wisbech 2nds 2

WISBECH travelled to high flying Nomads hoping to continue the form from the previous week’s win.

The first half was a close contest with Nomads scoring first. Wisbech soon hit back with a goal from Phil Norman after some good passing down the left between Lee Peck and Matt Pooley.

Both sides had further first half chances, but only Nomads managed to score to make it 2-1 at half time. Wisbech came out for the second half with a change in formation.

However, Nomads scored again before Wisbech got a second – Phil Norman scuffing home from a penalty corner.

The match then became a physical battle and Nomads took control, notching a further four goals.

Wisbech play another Cambridge side next: City 4ths at home at 11.30am.

Wisbech 3rds 3,

Peterborough 0

WISBECH avenged the defeat against City of Peterborough earlier in the season in style, controlling much of the game and creating many chances.

In the first half Wisbech’s work rate was as high as ever and they battled early on.

They then created several chances with Richard Caxton opening the scoring with a good finish from a pass by the improving James Williams. Adam Thomas had three chances with the best of them saved on the line.

In the second half more determination and resolute defending kept the visitors at bay with keeper Kev Shippey only having to make two saves in the whole game.

The game opened up ten minutes into the half and after a bad mistake from the visitors’ keeper, Hugo Atkins sneaked in to score his first of the season for the ‘Threes’.

Then more good work from Atkins led to Thomas finally getting on the score sheet. Wisbech were the down to ten men when Gavin Plume was adjudged to retaliate to a bad challenge.

The 3rds are now guaranteed a second year in the division after promotion last season.

Wisbech 4ths 3,

Cambs Nomads 3rds 4

WISBECH had to work hard in this mid-table clash against a well-organised side.

An early Nomads goal was soon nullified by a Jonathan Boyall tap-in but Wisbech still went into the break 2-1 down.

The second half was more of the same with Wisbech keeper Adam Forder playing well.

With their usual passing game not working, Wisbech had to rely on two individual goals from Josh Holmes and Danny Emmington to take the lead. Nomads managed to evade the defence to score twice and take the result by a whisker.

Saturday: v Rutland 3rds (a), 11am start.

Cambs South 1,

Wisbech Ladies 2nd 0

THE first half saw Wisbech with the majority of possession leading to a number of short corner and attacking chances. Cambs South’s keeper got behind everything, keeping them in the game.

Cambs broke against the flow of play and converted a cross from the right wing into the only goal of the match.

Katie Dunn was masterly in the right midfield position, wrong footing the opposition, sneaking the ball from their possession and building the attack; a deserving player of the match.

The second half was a much closer contest with a number of first class tackles and passes from Sue Slator making sure Wisbech attacked from both sides of the pitch.

Wisbech Ladies 1sts lost 3-2 to Teign in the National Cup quarter-finals on Sunday after leading 2-0 at half time through Jo Gomm and Erika Burrell.