Wisbech are unable to break Harts

Share this article

Blueharts 6, Wisbech 3

WISBECH couldn’t prevent Blueharts claiming the East Premier B title, but managed to give the champions a few scares along the way.

A large crowd had come to see the home side take the title but they were silenced early on when Wisbech took a shock lead. Dan Martell passed to Sam Blunt who carried the ball forward before finding Martell who had run half the pitch length and finished coolly.

Blueharts surged forward as their midfield pressed on and Wisbech were often outnumbered at the back.

Blueharts players were allowed far too much room in the circle and exploited this scoring almost at will to go 4-1 ahead before Wisbech found their way back into the game. A Sam Blunt drag flick was deflected in off the back of a defender who had bravely turned away.

It was only a blip, though, as Blueharts again took advantage of Wisbech’s defensive generosity to take a 5-2 half time lead.

Wisbech regrouped after the break and acquitted themselves far better defensively. Matt Levanda and Jon Shippey tackled tirelessly as they kept Blueharts at bay and there were signs the home side were becoming nervous and these were compounded when Gav Johnstone was fouled and Wisbech were awarded a penalty stroke. The Blueharts keeper tried to distract Joe Melton by moving around but the Wisbech player kept his nerve to score.

The crowd were now getting nervous but Wisbech couldn’t score again while Blueharts were reduced to ten. Nerves were settled slightly by a sixth goal from a short corner but again Wisbech provided a scare. A second penalty stroke and yellow card were awarded but this time the keeper saved Melton’s effort.

Wisbech had plenty of chances to really put Blueharts under pressure but a good performance from their keeper ensured they won the game and the league.

Wisbech have one game remaining against Colchester on April 14 at 1pm; they are guaranteed fourth position in the league, a sterling effort from the team.

Wisbech 2nd 0,

City of Peterborough 4th 2

WISBECH put in a good performance against a Peterborough side requiring a win to secure promotion.

There were few goal-scoring chances from open play and despite winning most of the penalty corners awarded throughout the game, Wisbech were unable to score.

Both Peterborough’s goals came in the second half. The first when a Peterborough player bundled his way through several Wisbech challenges and the second from a reverse stick strike after the Peterborough player was allowed too much time in the Wisbech D.

Jordan Trundle, returning to the side after two weeks, was excellent at left back and Alex Jones was unfortunate to go off injured after a promising appearance as a substitute.

Wisbech face Cambridge City 4th in their last match of the season on April 14.

Wisbech: Tom Peggs, Jordan Trundle, Nick Osborne, Sam Dunn, Matt Pooley, Lee Peck, Ryan Parker, Mark Littlechild, Hugo Atkins, Gary Freear, Phil Norman, Alex Jones.

Redbridge and Ilford Mixed 3, Wisbech Mixed 4

WISBECH made the trip south in the first round of the Mixed Plate competition.

Featuring only seven of the 16 who reached last season’s final, Wisbech started poorly and soon found themselves 2-0 down. They fought back though and despite being behind they were never out of the game.

Wisbech were given a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty stroke; Sam Blunt confidently despatched the ball high into the net.

Wisbech levelled before half time when Lisa Williamson scored from close range. It was now Wisbech in control. Dan Martell made it 3-2 from a short corner before Blunt smashed home a reverse stick shot from the most acute of angles to stun everybody.

Redbridge scored a late consolation, but Wisbech held firm to win. An excellent all round team effort was reflected in a three-way tie for player of the match.

Spalding Ladies 0,

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 2

WISBECH finished the season with another well-deserved three points.

From the start they were under pressure but held off a Spalding short corner before chances were created for Wisbech with Connie Anker and Sophie Culshaw dominating the midfield.

Player of the match Becky Pentalow created plenty of chances from short corners but only for Connie Anker to have one ruled out late in the first half.

The breakthrough came 10 minutes after half time with Emily Brown slotting neatly home from a superb Daisy Woolmer pass. The second goal was by Kimberley Stimpson who made her way through the Spalding defence before striking into the bottom corner.

A fantastic season for Wisbech saw them finish fourth in the league table.