Wisbech do double over high-flying hosts

Newmarket 1st XV 11,

Wisbech 1st XV 30

WISBECH recorded a thumping bonus point victory to do the double over high flying Newmarket on Saturday and played some of their best rugby of the season.

With Wisbech’s typically strong defence forming a brick wall and razor sharp running Wisbech had near total domination. It was from such a run that Shane Vickers scored the first of Wisbech’s five tries – collecting the ball on the halfway line Vickers darted down the right wing, handed off his man and cantered in to open scoring.

Wisbech were able to soak up pressure. Captain Tom Long intercepted a pass from the Newmarket fly half, and gathering the ball neatly, turned on the speed and ran in from the halfway line to score a top captain’s try.

In possibly the play of the game, Wisbech effectively took the game away from the hosts before half-time. Winning the ball from a turnover in their own 22, within six phases and with every player involved in the move Wisbech tore apart the defence, with Phil Martell finishing the half in some style 15-6.

The second half saw much of the same. Again from turnover ball, Wisbech looked to break out, with some swift handling and a deft pass from talismanic front row Andrew McCubbin, Josh Seale collected the ball at the halfway, beat two defenders and scored under the posts. Vickers made the conversion to take Wisbech up to 22-6. James Napier scored the fifth try to cap an excellent personal display.

With passions high, the referee saw fit to dispense no fewer than four yellow cards during the match, and it was while Wisbech were short numbered that Newmarket scored on a two man overlap.

Wisbech had the last word, with Matt Desborough kicking a penalty to seal the win. Wisbech were, to a man, in excellent form. Wisbech’s many travelling supporters were vocal all afternoon, and victory lifts Wisbech up to ninth and a large step closer to safety.

Wisbech will look to continue this form next week at Wanstead.