Wisbech end losing streak with emphatic victory

Share this article

Colchester 2, Wisbech Ist 6

Wisbech ended their losing run with a comprehensive victory at lowly Colchester but it was far from comfortable for long periods.

Wisbech took an early lead when Dan Martell carved through the home defence and then took both teams by surprise by cutting the ball back to Aaron Cobb, who calmly finished from close range.

Wisbech then had two players stranded upfield arguing with the umpire as Colchester attacked. Three Colchester players were then being covered by a solitary defender and as the ball bounced one of the Colchester players tried to stop the ball and got the faintest of edges to the ball and deflected it into the corner.

Wisbech regained the advantage when Brad Apted ran at the goalkeeper and lost control of the ball. Somehow the ball dribbled between the keeper’s legs and across the line.

Colchester equalised again but Wisbech should have gone into the break ahead but Sam Markille missed an easy chance after good work from Apted.

The second half saw Colchester come quickly out of the blocks and enjoy their best period of the match. They came close to taking the lead but the ball smashed against the outside of the post.

The match turned in a five minute period. Debutant Ed Hurtley was harshly yellow carded for a stick tackle. Wisbech were particularly aggrieved as moments before Dan Martell had been hit in the ribs from behind, a challenge that went unpunished. Wisbech coped well with being a man down and the numbers were soon level when Markille was crudely fouled. Wisbech took the lead for the third time from the resulting short corner which found its way to Gavin Johnstone after an almighty scramble.

Wisbech took control and Markille atoned for his earlier miss with two cool finishes. Johnstone grabbed his second from a short corner to give the scoreline an emphatic look. Wisbech host Blueharts (2.30) on Saturday.

Wisbech 1st 6, Sudbury 0

Wisbech cruised to the third round of the EHA Trophy with a dominating performance against Sudbury on Sunday,

The visitors allowed Wisbech far too much time on the ball and but for the sterling efforts of their goalkeeper the score would have been two or three times higher.

Drew Harvey and Sam Markille scored two each and Brad Apted and Gavin Johnstone were also on target.

Spalding 5,

Wisbech Town 2nds 2

Wisbech had all the play for the first ten minutes of the match, but couldn’t convert chances into goals.

They were made to pay as Spalding scored from a penalty flick and then quickly added a second with the Wisbech defence in disarray. Wisbech regrouped and pulled a goal back, the ball looping in off Karl Belding’s stick. Hugo Atkins then equalised, deflecting in a penalty corner strike from Gary Freear.

Both teams created chances in the second half, but only Spalding scored goals – one from a well worked penalty corner, another penalty flick and one from open play.

Next week Wisbech face another tough away game against league leaders City of Peterborough 4.

Wisbech 3rds 1,

Cambs South 1sts 5

Wisbech knew they had a difficult task in front of them and so it proved, as despite a battle in midfield Cambs South managed to slot two goals home before half time.

It was more of the same in the second half as Wisbech could not find a way to convert some good possession into goals. Cambs scored another three goals using pace and some good passing to evade the Wisbech defence. A consolation goal for the home side was scored by Howard Atkins from the solitary penalty corner just before the final whistle. Saturday v Spalding 1st XI (h) 11.30am

Wisbech Town 4ths 4, Cambs City 5ths 3

Wisbech at last started to play the hockey they have threatened to all season and could have gone 2-0 within the first 10 minutes.

Pete Shippey and Jonathan Boyall linked well to trouble the Cambs defence and eventually a shot from Jake Jewson was expertly turned in from Pete Shippey.

After the break Wisbech again started quickly and another Pete Shippey strike doubled the lead.

Wisbech then decided to switch off and Cambs scored three quick goals to take the lead.

Wisbech then decided to play again and excellent play led to two quick Al Hanrahan goals to seal victory for Wisbech. Adam Forder had an excellent game in goal.

West Herts 5,

Wisbech Ladies 1sts 1

Wisbech started confidently but were soon battling hard in their own half as West Herts piled the pressure on throughout the first half to take the lead just before the break.

From the restart Wisbech started to press West Herts and were unlucky to concede another early goal. However this spurred Wisbech on and Steph Hanlon released Lisa Williamson who comfortably slotted the ball home.

In the last ten minutes West Herts stole a quick break and had their comfortable lead back and added another two late goals. Goalkeeper Becs Howitt was named player of the match after pulling off some superb saves. Wisbech travel away to Dereham this week.

Cambridge Univ 3rds 7, Wisbech ladies 2nds 1

Wisbech Ladies dropped to sixth in the league after this defeat against a very strong side.

Just before half time Emma Baker forced the ball over the line for Wisbech’s only goal. The half-time team talk was put immediately into action and for a few minutes Wisbech looked a changed side knitting together a series of short passes to move wide and up the wing into the attacking circle.

This did not last and Wisbech never looked like turning over a team who didn’t stop working and made every move as a tight unit. Alice Wong claimed player of the match.

On Saturday it is away to Rutland in the Cambridgeshire Cup.

Ely 3rds 1,

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 1

Wisbech continued their good start to the season with a very commanding performance against a good Ely side.

Midway through the first half Zoe Forder crossed into the ‘D’ towards Emily Brown who tapped it in.

After half time Ely broke down the wing in a pack, with Wisbech unable to get back in time their shot found its way into the goal. A player of the match performance from Connie Anker ensured that Wisbech did not give up.