Wisbech hit back for draw after frustrating display

Old Brentwood 12pts,

Wisbech 12pts

Wisbech again struggled to field an away side to travel to South Essex side Old Brentwood in the London NE 3 and were fortunate to come away with a draw.

Only 15 players travelled and Robbie Brooks, who is at university in London, met the team there.

In the early exchanges Wisbech struggled to find their form. The home side scored a converted try midway through the half and shortly after extended their lead with another try.

Wisbech finally woke up when scrum half Andy Claydon managed to burrow his way across the line to ease Wisbech back into the match.

After half time flanker Jack Smith scored a try and with Mark Laws adding the conversion the sides were level at 12-12.

Frustrated by their performance, Wisbech’s discipline started to wane. They gave away possession with a number of penalties and with 10 minutes to go the referee carded Tom Long for not retreating 10 metres and for blocking the opposition.

Shortly after centre Jon Turner was also carded for a high tackle. Now down to 13 players Wisbech were forced to dig in and luckily a home side penalty attempt to win the game in the final minute went wide.

On Saturday Wisbech are at home against Canvey Island kick off 2.30pm.

Training continues on Wednesday evening at 7pm.

Wisbech 2nds 12pts,

Fakenham 1st 5pts

Wisbech seconds maintained their unbeaten record at home in the league with a hard fought victory over Fakenham firsts.

After being slow out of the blocks in other games this season, the seconds actually started incredibly brightly.

Maintaining possession and some strong ball carrying from hooker George Gordon saw the seconds camped in the Fakenham 22. A scrum 10 metres saw James Napier, returning from injury, take an opportunistic try where he jinked past several Fakenham defenders.

Fakenham then began to build some phases and some ill-discpline saw Wisbech having to defend in their own 22.

But, stout tackling from the whole team especially from flanker Neil Hunt, saw Fakenham denied any points. However, tempers soon flared which saw Ricky Harnwell and the Fakenham prop both in the sin bin for 10 minutes.

Fly-half Steven Priest controlled the game and some clever kicking with good chasing from winger James Mcelduff saw Wisbech start to gain some territory. Daniel Roberts and Ryan Tate playing in the centres made some incisive breaks that assisted the Wisbech cause. Man of the Match Toby Lindley received a pass after a break from Napier and was able to burst through three attempted tackles to score the second try for Wisbech. They went into the half-time team talk 12-0 up.

In the second half, Dave Brodie playing in his unfavoured position of second row was able to break some tackles and set up some good field position for the seconds. Again, Wisbech were unable to convert the pressure.

The second half slowly tumbled into a scrappy affair with both sides making handling errors and giving away penalties. However, it was the defence of Wisbech that kept Fakenham from making any significant inroads to create a score.

Three minutes from time Fakenham had a series of scrums around the Wisbech five-metre line and finally scored an unconverted try. In the last two minutes there was a rally from Fakenham, but the Wisbech defence held firm.

Next week the seconds travel to Wymondham.