Wisbech net point with last touch

Wisbech 1st 3, Blueharts 3

Thrills and spills aplenty as Wisbech snatched a point against promotion chasing Blueharts. The Hitchin-based visitors had won their previous four games and came expecting another three points but found a Wisbech side ready to battle hard.

Wisbech found it difficult to cope with Blueharts’ movement in the early stages but managed to contain them and were soon looking dangerous themselves. They took the lead when Drew Harvey scored from a short corner in his first league game of the season.

The equaliser came quickly, also from a short corner, Blueharts’ first. A second goal followed soon after. There was a goalmouth scramble and between them Matthew Levanda and James Sheppard somehow kept the ball out. It was the only threat to the Wisbech goal from open play all afternoon.

Wisbech thought that they had escaped but Blueharts were awarded a short corner and flicked it into the top corner.

Wisbech saw talisman Bradley Apted limp out of the game and knew they had a mountain to climb. Blueharts made it three goals from three short corners 10 minutes into the second half and would have made it four but for a brilliant stop on the line from Joe Melton.

Blueharts had to play with 10 players for most of the rest of the game as player after player saw the yellow card and Wisbech gave themselves hope when captain Jon Shippey crashed in a short corner and they thought they had equalised when Gavin Johnstone looked to put the ball in the bottom corner. The Blueharts keeper pulled off an excellent save to deny him.

The game looked over. Melton won Wisbech a free hit on the right and the ball was fired into the circle by Shippey. Sam Markillie was on hand to deflect the ball into the net with what turned to be the last touch of the game.

This Saturday Wisbech make the short trip to Long Sutton (1pm).

City of Peterborough 4ths 4,

Wisbech Town 2nds 3

It looked an impossible challenge as Wisbech put out a bare eleven against a top of the table Peterborough side that had scored 25 goals in six matches and only conceded three. However, it was Wisbech that took the lead early on through a perfectly placed Al Hanrahan penalty corner strike.

Peterborough then punished two defensive lapses to take the score to 2-1. Wisbech were pleased to hold the score at 2-1 as Ryan Parker was forced off for 10 minutes after being hit on the head by a deflected ball, but then were disappointed not to equalise from a series of penalty corners.

Peterborough scored a third goal straight after half-time, but Wisbech battled back against some hard Peterborough tackling and some dubious umpiring decisions to level at 3-3. Right-back Parker, having an eventful match, assisted in goals for Gary Freear and Tim Atkins. Unfortunately, despite Wisbech’s doggedness, Peterborough grabbed a winning goal.

A spirited display by Wisbech was marred as the match finished in mayhem with Wisbech defending a penalty corner after goalkeeper Tom Peggs was yellow carded.

Wisbech take on Ely City 2 at home at 2.30pm on Saturday.

Wisbech 3rds 1, Spalding 1st 6

Wisbech hosted another promotion chasing side and defied the odds by having a lot of possession and working the ball around the visitors.

However it was Spalding who scored first from a penalty corner in what was virtually their first attacking move. This pattern of play continued throughout the first half with Wisbech having seven good scoring opportunities and scoring none while Spalding had five attempts and scored four.

The second half was equally as frustrating as Wisbech continued to fight hard but were not rewarded on the goal front until Dave Webster put a chest high volley into the Spalding goal. This was not enough as Spalding continued to score goals from some clinical penalty corner finishes. Saturday v Rutland 2nds (a), 11am.

Wisbech Town 4ths 3, Rutland 3rds 0

Wisbech faced a very good young Rutland side who started strongly but could find no way past a very strong Wisbech defence.

After 20 minutes of soaking up pressure Wisbech broke down the right hand side and Pete Shippey slotted home a good goal against the run of play.

Wisbech started to take control with Dom Stannard running the midfield with an iron glove. Will Green came close before Gary Freear slotted home another, doubling the scoreline.

After the break Wisbech forged forward playing some excellent hockey and Jonathan Boyall sealed the game 10 minutes after the restart.

The whole team played very well and more performances like this will result in a very good season.