Wisbech recover to win after slow start

Wisbech Town 4,

Cambridge Nomads 2

Lowly Nomads took an early lead as Wisbech made a slow start to the game.

It took the hosts a long time to find any kind of form, but once they did they took control. Joe Melton equalised from Wisbech’s first short corner and Jon Shippey gave them the 2-1 lead from their second.

Wisbech sloppily conceded possession and allowed Nomads to equalise, but struck back immediately through Karle Belding.

The second half saw Wisbech dominant. Nomads threatened briefly on the break, but it was Wisbech who created chance after chance. All they had to show at the end was a second Belding goal but they could easily have run up double figures.

On Saturday Wisbech visit Letchworth (1.30).

Wisbech 2nds 3,

March 2nds 0

March began the game strongly, but it wasn’t long before Wisbech began to dominate possession.

The deadlock was broken by Wisbech when Sam Dunn was given time at a penalty corner to flick the ball into the goal. Wisbech continued to pass the ball around confidently, but it wasn’t until the second half that Gary Freear scored Wisbech’s second goal with a reverse stick strike. Alex Jones was quick thinking to self-take a long corner, dribble toward the goal and cross the ball for Matt Pooley to deflect it home.

March had some breakaway attacks toward the end of the game, but Howard Atkins was frequently on hand to sweep up the danger.

Wisbech’s next game is away to Cambridge Nomads 2nds.

Rutland 1sts 5,

Wisbech 3rds 0

The game started with very early pressure from Rutland, resulting in a quick opening goal.

Despite strong efforts from Zac Brown in central defence Rutland took it to 4-0 before the break.

The start of the second half saw Wisbech generate their own attacking pressure through strong play in the midfield from James Williams and Sam Portham.

Rutland however, were still the dominant side, yet only one goal managed to slip through the many goal line clearances from Paul Jackson.

Wisbech play Peterborough 4ths at home next week.

Wisbech 4ths 4,

March 3rds 5

Wisbech had to battle hard to stay in touch with a good March side. March scored three goals in the first half with some good passing at speed.

It was two goals from Gary Freear that kept Wisbech in the game however. The second half was much of the same but some excellent goalkeeping from Wisbech keeper Adam Forder kept March at bay.

The situation changed when a March player got a red card after throwing a violent punch at Wisbech defender Gavin Plume.

This put March on the back foot and two goals from Hugo Atkins made the score 4-4. Only a late breakaway goal from March allowed them to gain maximum points. On Saturday it is Cambs Nomads (h), 11.30 start.