Wisbech suffer bruising defeat

James Mansfield wisbech hockey player
James Mansfield wisbech hockey player
Share this article

Wisbech Town 1st 1,

Ramgarhia 1st 7

Wisbech suffered a second successive defeat against a back to strength Ramgarhia outfit on Saturday.

The home side were on the end of some bruising tackles with Ed Batt having a stick wrapped around his midriff and Sam Markillie took a blow to his right ankle.

The first half frustration was doubled for the home side with countless clean tackles penalised and attacking obstructions from the visitors seemingly ignored.

Wisbech failed to capitalise on their early pressure and went into the break 1-0 down after a well worked Ramgarhia penalty corner was despatched.

The away side came out strongly in the second half and blew Wisbech away with crisp passing hockey, a style that the home side have seen glimpses of this season but have failed to produce consistently.

They added six second half goals in a clinical attacking display.

James Mansfield was sent off for, what appeared to be, one of the cleanest tackles he’s made all season and Charles Baxter was also yellowed for a cynical challenge just inside his own 25 yard line.

Mansfield returned to the field of play to grab Wisbech’s consolation goal when he deflected in after Ed Batt had fired into the circle.

Wisbech make the long journey to Waltham Forest on Saturday looking to get their campaign back on track.

Wisbech Town 3rds 0,

Wisbech Town 2nds 2

A hard fought, but good spirited match went the way of the form guide with the second team winning 2-0.

The seconds had the majority of possession and the third team was limited to very few chances throughout the match.

A deflected own goal was disallowed due to the umpire being unsighted, but was soon followed by Matt Goodwin sweeping the ball into the goal to put the seconds 1-0 up.

The second half followed a similar form to the first with the second team dominating possession, but unable to beat Simon Freear in goal. It took a well worked penalty corner with Matt Goodwin setting up Lee Peck to score the second goal.

On Saturday Wisbech 2nds host Cambridge City 4 at 2.30pm and the thirds play Rutland 1sts (a) 11am start.