Wisbech triumph in derby

Wisbech triumphed in a local rugby derby friendly at old rivals March.

March 7pts, Wisbech II 77pts

From the kick-off it was clear that the strong Wisbech squad was looking to dominate the game. As soon as scrum-half Ali Comben was able to get his hands on the ball the backs were given quick ball.

This led to winger Ed Thory crashing over in the corner. Soon after Wisbech scored again in the same corner, Tom Williams this time with the try. Tom Long, having a run out for the seconds, showed some class to step past the March tackles before scoring under the posts, Jack Malkin adding the extras.

Gaelic footballer Dermot Raftery, playing only his second game of rugby decided he wanted to get in on the action and he showed real pace bursting down the touchline to score in the corner.

Not to be outdone by his counterpart, Ed Thory decided to add another try to his tally and he ran over the March defence to score.

Vice-captain Josh Anderson collected an inside pass from Jack Malkin standing in at fly-half and scored another try as Wisbech began to run riot.

Towards the end of the half Jack Malkin snuck past some tackles to score another try, adding the extras himself. Wisbech went into half-time 39-0 up.

In the second half March showed some resilience bringing up some old heads who began to chop down the Wisbech runners. Some Wisbech indiscipline saw March gain some possession.

But, young number 8 Nathan Goodale who had been making devastating runs all day gave Wisbech some vital

territory. From this captain Oliver Mackett was able to stroll over the try line to score. Experienced full-back Ricky Harnwell was desperate to round off his excellent game with his first try in five years.

Finally, Ricky was able to hold his hands up in celebration after jinking through the March defence in the corner. After this Nathan Goodale showed his pace to add a try to the tally.

Tight-head prop Reece Murdoch returning from university burst through and was able to step the March full-back to score. Robbie Brooks, another returning from university, showed some real class with a diving finish to pile some more points to the Wisbech total.

At a ruck Wisbech made a mistake that a March player capitalised on. He outpaced the Wisbech covering defence to score a consolation try.

With the final play of the game Dan Roberts scored a try to finish off a clinical performance.

Brooks, taking over the kicking in the second half, ended up with 4 from 6. Wisbech were happy with

their performance and look to finish this difficult season strongly.