Wisbech win despite red card

Wisbech 1st team second half action against Letchworth.
Wisbech 1st team second half action against Letchworth.
Share this article

Wisbech 3, Letchworth 1

WISBECH began the 2012/2013 season with a win despite an early red card.

Wisbech were on the back of a good pre-season and sporting new kit, courtesy of PS Financials. Daniel Martell saw himself sent off inside the first 10 minutes for questioning an umpiring decision.

Just before half-time the away side grabbed a goal from a well executed short corner routine. Moments later the slippery Sam Blunt drew in a foul which saw the offender sent off right on the half time whistle.

New manager Al Hanrahan’s half-time team talk had the desired effect with Gav Johnstone and Ed Batt setting up Wisbech’s equalising goal from Freear from a Sam Blunt cross.

Blunt then got himself on the score sheet with almost a carbon copy of the equaliser, finishing well at the far post. Freear conjuring up some space in the D for the third.

Next week: away Harleston Magpies.

Wisbech Town 2nd 3, Cambridge South 2nd 1

WISBECH began their campaign with a comfortable win, controlling the match from start to finish.

Hugo Atkins opened the scoring midway through the first half, deflecting in a well worked penalty corner. However, South soon equalised with a breakaway goal.

After a short scrappy spell of play just after half-time, Matt Goodwin put Wisbech back in the lead. Goodwin then added a second fine strike.

On Saturday Wisbech face newly promoted City of Peterborough 5 away at 4pm.

Cambs South 7, Wisbech 3rd 0

WISBECH travelled with a makeshift side due to the cricket season still going on.

The lack of match practice led to several penalty corners being awarded in the first half. South put four of these away with the score at 5–0 by half-time, after which saw some determined defending from Wisbech.

Next: Cambs Nomads (h) 4pm start.

Pelicans 0, Wisbech Ladies 2

This local derby with King’s Lynn Pelicans proved to be a great opener.

It looked like it was going to end in stalemate, with Pelicans being denied at the other end, until Wisbech broke through in Pelicans’ defensive third and Georgie Dunn forced the ball over the line.

With new confidence Jane Peggs then converted another to give Wisbech a 2-0 lead. Player of the match: Leanne Williamson. Wisbech host Harleston Magpies next week at 1pm.

Spalding 2nd 4, Wisbech Ladies 2nd 4

THE Ladies seconds were masters of the comeback on Satuday, almost pinching a win after going three goals down in the first half.

Playing a new formation initially unsettled the team defensively but after regrouping at half-time the team settled down. PoM Emma Baker scored her first goal of the day with a characteristic slam dunk finish to bring the score to 3-1 at half time.

Other goals came from Shelly Jones from a rebound, Lou Sandall and Baker with a first class goal from a near impossible angle. Great debut for the club from Jo Beacham.

Next: home, Huntingdon Ladies, at 2.30pm.

Wisbech Ladies 3rds 3, Spalding 5

AN inexperienced Wisbech side took the lead in the first half with Emily Brown and Zoe Forder both tapping in.

Spalding took the lead either side of half-time. Late in the half Jade Long pulled one back. A brilliant defensive performance from debutant Emily Brooker.