Youthful approach pays off

March Town 1st 6,

Broxbourne 1st 2

Stand-in captain Ashley Welland sparked a debate within the club due to his team selection with Jody Betts, James Mansfield and Rob Mitchell making way for a more youthful approach.

The gamble paid off as March exploded out of the blocks and had a seemingly endless supply of energy and gusto. Scott Welcher’s first time cross into the D found Welland who slotted with a vintage finish.

The roles reversed for March’s second goal when Welland served up a pass to Welcher who fired low into the goal. March went 3-0 up with 15 minutes played, Grant Gilmour finally finding his confidence and scoring his first league goal for the club. A slight reduction in work rate allowed Broxbourne to grab two goals back.

A short corner was won moments before half-time and Ed Batt found David Hodson at the far post to continue his rich vein of scoring form.

March won a second short corner soon after the re-start and Batt nestled a drag flick into the right side-netting.

Gilmour released a great ball right across the goal that Welland got on the end of to complete a captivating brace and seal all three points for March. Man of the match went to Adam Graham for a miracle stick save on the goal line. March take on Pelicans 1st XI on Saturday at Lynnsport.

March 2nds 2,

Bourne Deeping 2nds 3

March started the game strongly and claimed the lion’s share of possession for the first half with Gary Howsam opening the scoring via a short corner.

The opposition capitalised on some March errors to secure chances across the second half. Two goals came in quick succession and a third came from a penalty stroke with ten minutes remaining.

March piled men forward in search for a consolation goal, which came from open play with man of the match Hugh Whittome striking the ball crisply into the back board of goal.

Seconds travel to St Ives on Saturday.

Rutland 3rds 3,

March Town 3rds 5

March got underway right from the pushback with James Fountain’s early shot hitting home early doors but Rutland equalised straight after.

Fountain notched a second to restore March’s lead before half-time and made it four goals with a brace early in the second half.

Tom Cole secured the fifth goal with a darting run into the Rutland defence. However Rutland gained two further late goals.