Home   Sport   Article

Swaffham Town and Fakenham Town pick up away point


Thurlow Nunn League

Premier Division

Long Melford 2

Swaffham Town 2

A well-earned point for the Pedlars away to fifth place Long Melford.

The Pedlars took the lead in the fourth minute. An Alex Vincent corner was met by the head of Joe Jackson at the back post; his cross goal pass was met by Sam Loomes to head home from seven yards.

Melford came close just two minutes later but were denied by Dean ‘Rocky’ Mayes, saving from point blank range and forcing a corner. Swaffham dominated the first half but were unable to add to their lead, with several attempts at goal directed at the keeper.

Melford raised their game in the second half, forcing the Pedlars deep into their own half, forcing numerous corners which threatened the equaliser. The home side equalised in the 70th minute, with a deflected free-kick at the centre of goal, two yards outside the box.

Swaffham re-took the lead just three minutes later, Lewis Thompson setting Jackson free with 30 yards to goal. He rounded the keeper and shot home from 12 yards. Long Melford recovered the point in the 81st minute.

A fine performance from the Swaffham squad, who are in 15th position and have no first team game next weekend.

Attendance: 58.

The Under 18’s return to action on Thursday, Dereham Town the visitors to Shoemakers Lane, kick off 7.45pm.

Brantham Athletic 1

Fakenham Town 1

An Ashley Jarvis strike earned the Ghosts a share of the spoils.

The Ghosts were a goal down at half-time but Jarvis equalised to grab a point.

No change in league placing for Fakenham, who are fourth from bottom.

Att: 50.

At Clipbush Park Fakenham Town Reserves beat Long Stratton Reserves 1-0, Aaron Myhill scoring for The Ghosts after 65 minutes.

Division One

Downham Town 2

Halstead Town 3

Downham Town FC threw away a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 at home to Halstead Town at the Memorial Field on Saturday.

Earlier Mark Smith was involved in Downham going two goals to the good. The forward talisman firstly calmly slotted home from 12 yards out.

Then Smith’s shot rebounded out to Andy Willmott who stepped inside and dispatched the finish after 24 minutes.

Att: 55.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More