Home   News   Article

Accidental fire means Clarkson GPs' Surgery in Wisbech is closed until further notice




Patients at a Wisbech doctors' surgery face calling 111 or going to A&E following a fire at the premises on yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

The Clarkson Surgery in DeHavilland Road, had to be evacuated at around 4pm when a fire broke out in premises' fuse box.

Posting on Kirkgate matters a member of staff said Clarkson Surgery is closed until further notice and advised those needing to see a doctor to call 111 or go to A&E.

The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)
The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)

Councillor Dave Patrick, a patient at the surgery, and local ward representative, said: "The surgery caters for 1,000s of people so it is worrying. I have been told there is a contingency for incidents like this, but that is not currently in place. My main concern is what people will do about repeat prescriptions at the moment."

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: "At 4pm on Friday two crews from Wisbech were called to a fire on De Haviland Road in Wisbech.

"Firefighters arrived to find a fire involving the fuse box in the electric main intake cupboard of a doctors surgery. Using hose reels and CO2 extinguishers to put the fire out.

"The building was safely evacuated before crews arrived at the scene.

"The crews returned to their station by 8pm. The cause of the fire was accidental."


Read more



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More