Home   News   Article

Could you benefit from a tax allowance transfer?

Property SUS-151026-073200003
Property SUS-151026-073200003

The standard personal allowance is currently £10,600 for the current tax year and not everyone will be able to make full use of this.

If you and your spouse are in the situation where one of you earns above the personal allowance and one just below you can make use of transferring the Marriage Allowance.

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,060 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.

Currently the personal allowance is £10,600 and this is the amount you don’t pay any tax on.

Adding £1,060 to your partner’s Personal Allowance means they’ll pay £212 less tax in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

You can get the Marriage Allowance if both meet the following requirements – your partner’s income is between £10,601 and £42,385 and you and your partner were born on or after 6 April 1935. By claiming Marriage Allowance your partner’s Personal Allowance increases to £11,660 and they’ll pay £212 less tax and your Personal Allowance goes down to £9,540, so you won’t pay any tax if your income’s less than this.

You can apply online for the Marriage Allowance and this takes effect from the start of the next tax year.

HM Revenue and Customs will give your partner their extra allowance, either by changing your tax code or, if you’re self-employed, on your Self-Assessment tax return.

Your tax code will also change if you’re employed or get a pension.

This can take two months to take place once applied for.

Once you have transferred your Personal Allowance this will transfer automatically to your partner every year until one of you cancels the transfer.

If you cancel the transfer by contacting HMRC your partner will receive it for the current year and then from the beginning of the next year the transfer will stop.

If your partner rings up to cancel the transfer and no longer wants to receive the allowance transfer this will be backdated to the start of the current tax year.

This is a useful tool to help reduce your tax if you or your spouse do not use the full allowance. The online application requires both your national insurance details and P60 details for the last year.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More