Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Fenland shall remember - but people should do it at home this Remembrance Sunday due to lockdown restrictions



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Chatteris will be holding a very small official Remembrance Sunday commemoration this weekend it has now been confirmed - but there must be no crowds.

Members of the town's Royal British Legion Branch were awaiting official guidance before deciding whether to proceed with what they had planned in light of the ongoing pandemic.

Tina Prior, spokesman for Chatteris RBL, said they had been told they could go ahead, and said:"Here in Chatteris our Remembrance event is always very well supported by the wider community with many groups, clubs and organisations taking part along with the many hundreds of people who usually line the parade route.

There must be no scenes like this from last year in Chatteris or Fenland's other towns and villages this Remembrance Sunday.
There must be no scenes like this from last year in Chatteris or Fenland's other towns and villages this Remembrance Sunday.

"But this year we are asking the public to stay away and mark the occasion on their own doorstep. There will be no parade.

"A very small, official ceremony will take place at the War Memorial at 11am with a selection of invited members representing the town and district councils, the MP, the RBL and the church.

"The event will be filmed and made available for viewing shortly after on social media.

"No Standards will be present, instead, Standard Bearers will carry out their duties within their own gardens. A bugler will play from the front of the church, away from everyone at the memorial.

"All social distancing measures are required along with face coverings.

"Groups and individuals are invited to lay their wreaths at the Memorial any time on Sunday (8) from 11.30am onwards.

"They must limit contact with others and adhere to social distancing whilst doing this."

March had already confirmed it is holding a similarly pared down event and again the public are being asked to stay away and stand on their doorsteps at 11am as a mark of respect.

The town's annual parade, which is considered among the largest in the county has been cut to the absolute minimum, instead of having 500 people taking part and 2,000 spectators there will be five people on parade.

People wishing to lay wreaths are being asked to leave them in the grounds of St Peter’s Church throughout the Sunday, and volunteers will then safely move them to the war memorial in Broad Street.

Again it is hoped the event will be filmed and shared on social media.

Wisbech Town Council has taken the difficult decision to abandon its plans for a smaller than usual Remembrance Day commemoration amid fears they would be unable to guarantee it would remain Covid-19 safe.

Town clerk Terry Jordan said: “We have been working over the last few weeks to come up with plans for a ceremony attended by limited numbers of people. However, with the new lockdown and the removal of the rule of six, we feel we can no longer proceed.

“No matter what we say and how much we urge people to stay away there is bound to be some who turn up, and then we could arguably be accused of organising a public event, which is banned under the lockdown rules.

“We would ask people to hold their own act of remembrance by standing on their doorstep at 11am, and anyone wanting to lay a wreath to do so throughout the day, rather than at the set time of 11am.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More