Home   Sport   Article

Depleted March Town make long Cornard trip worthwhile

Wisbech Town FC v UCL leaders Leicester Nirvana action pics ANL-150712-084215009
Wisbech Town FC v UCL leaders Leicester Nirvana action pics ANL-150712-084215009

Cornard United 0

March Town Utd 1

Hares assistant manager Scott Beeny grabbed the winner as depleted March recorded their first clean sheet in 19 games on Saturday.

They made the long trip to Cornard with a much-depleted squad with eight regulars missing, having to add three youngsters and assistant boss Beeny to the party.

Unavailable were Pepper, Barber, Cooke, Knowles, Menezes, Odain, Merryweather and Goult, who has departed the club. In was Beeny, along with James Youles, Brett Liddy and Liam Brady.

March weathered the storm from the fierce wind and feisty deepest Suffolk opponents to win 1-0 courtesy of Beeny’s second half strike after good work from Lewis McManus, who beat two players. Youles and Liddy made their competitive Hares debuts.

March: D Beeny, K Evans, Cox, Mattless, Jackman, Watson, Jackson, G Evans, Youles, McManus, S Beeny. Subs: Liddy and Brady.

The win puts March in ninth place with 17 games and 22 points in Thurlow Nunn League Division One. Last night March were in the Cambs Invitation Cup, hosting Fulbourn Institute, and next Saturday they entertain Team Bury.

The Reserves were also short of at least three players away against unbeaten Fordham, but notched a convincing 2-0 victory. Callum Young and a good finish from Lewis Hearn were on target.

The Under 16 side lost 3-1 to Pinchbeck.

PDFL Intermediate Cup Quarter Final

Thorney Res 2

Tydd St Mary 3

Tydd returned to winning ways on Saturday when they progressed to the semi-final at the expense of Division Three Thorney Reserves.

Although Tydd were from the lower division, you would not have guessed it in the first half as both teams had chances, but The Saints shaded it.

Tim Lowe went close when he lobbed the 'keeper on 15 minutes only to see the wind hold the ball up on the goal line.

Tydd broke through on 36 minutes when Lowe sprinted down the wing and squared a perfect ball for the on-rushing Phil Franklin to slam home.

The Saints were pegged back 10 minutes after the restart. However, Saints replied twice when Franklin at the far post slid the ball in from a Nick Reims free kick and Paul Clarke scored the goal of the game after a lovely Will Kirkham pass.

Thorney made it 3-2, and, in time added on, struck the upright, but Tydd held on.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More