Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Goalless draw sees Park Ladies stay up

Park Ladies travelled to Girton to face Cambridge University 2nds and got the point they needed for Premiership survival with a 0-0 draw, relegating the hosts who had needed all three points.

The game started off at a high tempo and it was Hana Howsam who had the first opportunity, hitting long-range lob that wasn't far off target.

Both sides were slipping on the pitch that had taken a soaking overnight and there were signs of nerves with some rushed passing and mistakes creeping into their game.

Park Ladies
Park Ladies

Uni thought they had taken the lead when the ball was poked home from close range, however the referee had already blown for offside.

Park pressed forward and released Fran Plitsch who drove into the area but saw her shot somehow saved.

Both teams won several corners, while Park just couldn't get anyone on the end of them, and some good defending prevented Uni from getting anything from theirs.

Park had a scare shortly before half-time when a Uni player was allowed to run at goal unchallenged, however she skied her shot high over the bar and it was goalless at the break.

Park knew they would have to dig in for the second half to maintain their advantage. Knowing that a goal would relieve the pressure on them, the ladies pushed forward.

Some good build-up play down the left-hand side saw the ball fizzed across the box, however, no-one was following up and it went to waste.

Uni were looking to counter with every opportunity but Park were defending doggedly and getting themselves in the way of every move. What did manage to get through was claimed by the Park keeper.

Park had more chances to go ahead, a ball across the top of the area just hit over the bar and a long ball into the area just not followed up on.

As the game went on, Cambridge were expected to throw everything at finding the crucial goal and they did.

Park won a free kick just outside the Uni box, but Plitsch put her effort just over the bar.

Uni kept pushing and had a couple of efforts on target that were easily saved.

However, five minutes from time Park hearts were in mouths when a shot from distance looped up and looked to be dropping goalwards… the keeper had it covered and luckily it crashed onto the top of the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Park held on and were relieved to hear the final whistle.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More