Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Busy March Town United welcome title-chasers Lakenheath in Thurlow Nunn League Division One KO Cup semi-final bidding to maintain new boss Arran Duke's unbeaten run

More news, no ads


Busy March Town United kept up their unbeaten run under recently-appointed manager Arran Duke with a 2-2 Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League draw at Norwich CBS on Saturday.

March stay in the fourth promotion place of Division One North at fifth placed CBS thanks to goals by Toby Allen and substitute Lewis Gibson.

They had to come back in each half from being behind at the FDC centre to make it six games undefeated under Duke.

Toby Allen.
Toby Allen.

The game nearly did not go ahead, as Duke revealed: “Yesterday was a very strange and at times frustrating day. At 1.45pm the game was off because the kit colours were too close.

“At 2.05pm we were back on and wearing bibs, but credit to the lads, they got a good point in the end and it was another strong performance. I was pleased with the reaction.”

March: Charlie Congreve, Thomas McLeish, Danny Emmington (capt), Jamie Short, Drew Barker, Josh Burrows, Eoin McQuaid, Adam Rothery, Toby Allen, Jack Friend, Craig Gillies.

Subs: Brody Warren, Jack Rawson, Lewis Gibson.

The club also announced that forward Denny Escorcio is rejoining the Hares after a few years away. The move is subject to international clearance.

This followed a late win on Tuesday night last week 2-1 at home to a good King’s Lynn Reserves side.

Prolific striker Jack Friend’s second goal of the night came after eight minutes of added time against an impressive young Linnets outfit whose defence was bolstered by first team player Ryan Fryatt, who was gaining game time after a long injury.

In a quiet first half Craig Gillies’ header was cleared off the Lynn line and Lynn’s Finn Howe’s shot was well saved by Charlie Congreve.

On 69 minutes Jack Saunders was crudely challenged and had to hobble off. However, a thunderous 20-yard free kick from man of the match Danny Emmington was headed on by Friend and March took the lead.

With 13 minutes remaining, Joseph Taylor ran down the right and crossed for 16-year-old Josh Brooks to level for Lynn on his debut.

For March, Eoin McQuaid, Friend and sub Lewis Gibson, on for Toby Allen, either carved out chances or went close, before Gillies flicked-on and it fell to Friend, who evaded the experienced Fryatt and registered his 33rd goal of the season.

Duke said: “This was a massive game and some people may have under-estimated how important it was against a good young Lynn side who beat second-placed Downham 5-2 only last month.

“I’m pleased with the lads because they kept to the task. It wasn’t vintage but these are the results that we weren’t getting earlier in the season and these are the results that get you where you want to be.”

Last night (Tuesday) busy March were due to welcome second-position title-chasing Lakenheath in the semi-final of the Thurlow Nunn League Division One KO Cup.

On Saturday March Town United entertain ninth-position Debenham LC and on Tuesday the Hares host leaders Mulbarton Wanderers to complete a tough and busy spell.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More