Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech Men pick up first hockey point vs Cambs South; Ladies win 9-goal Bury thriller

More news, no ads


Wisbech Men 2 Cambs South 2

Having tasted defeat in all four games so far, Wisbech turned a corner.

A change in tactics proved very important and through some good discipline they were able to continuously turn the ball over and create chances.

Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (19822568)
Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (19822568)

Wisbech, through Tom Jupp, who got the second-half lead after he fired low into the corner and the players felt this was the platform to kick on and take the three points.

Minutes later though, they were feeling aggrieved after an equaliser was allowed despite defenders being impeded when trying to get to clear the ball.

The game grew increasingly frustrating. Wisbech struggled to keep their heads and they found themselves down to nine men for a period of time.

They held firm until they were back to 11 and took a deserved lead with five minutes to go thanks to a Dan Martell shot.

Instantly Cambs won a very questionable short corner, and although this broke down Wisbech failed to mark men at the back post and conceded again. They tried to bang on the door for the last few minutes but were unable to get the goal that would have given them the win they deserved.

Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (19822585)
Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (19822585)

Alford & District 6 Wisbech Men's 2nds 1

Wisbech travelled with the bare 11-man squad, but pressed hard from the start dominating possession and looking a threat.

Josh Bell impressed with a solid game in defensive midfield, but Alford scored breakaway goals against the run of play, before Elliot Peck pulled one back with a neat reverse stick strike.

The second half was a similar affair with Wisbech pushing high and creating endless chances through linking play from Joe Else and Matt Pooley, but Wisbech simply could not score. Alford counter attacked time after time and scored a further four goals.

MoM: Josh Bell.

Wisbech 4ths 7 St Ives 5th 0

On a three-match winning streak, the men started strongly and saw chance after chance go astray, until a St Ives player stopped the ball on the line earning a penalty flick which Brandon Ruff calmly slotted home.

Wisbech were 4-0 up at half-time.

Brodie Ellis added to the tally in his debut match to the delight of the 4ths' record crowd. Ruff then added a second and Fin Murdoch netted, once again played a blinding game in defence.

Wisbech played some great hockey at times using their youth well against a mature St Ives side.

MoM: Brandon Ruff for his brace of goals and hard work.

Wisbech Ladies 5 Bury SE 4

With Bury already having 2 wins under their belt, Wisbech started the game more lethargic than they should have been.

A young Bury side soon took advantage and they were up 2-0.

With tactical changes in defence and a new found gear, Wisbech then began to play as a different side. Moving the ball quickly and leading runs from the forwards, led to Ella Scott making her debut for the first team, and winning a flick after a one on one with the keeper. Overland confidently stepped forward and Wisbech were back in the game.

With Natalie Ward, Laura Overland and Izzy Pope exposing the Bury's press in the second half, passes were sailing through to the forwards. Hannah Strickle was the second name on the scoresheet after an assist from captain Georgie Dunn was swept into the net. With momentum rising and Wisbech finding each other easily, it wasn't long before Katie Dunn played a killer ball down the line and Wisbech took the lead with a reverse stick shot from Jo Gomm, from the top of the D.

At 3-2 Wisbech continued to push forward and it wasn't long before Ella demanded the ball at the far post and with an effortlessly played cross from Gomm it passed the keeper. Wisbech's final goal came from the always calm Izzy Pope. Making light work of the defenders, Pope found the space to score a reverse stick goal from the top of the D.

Bury scored one more consolation goal but the victory had already gone to Wisbech. Wisbech still need to work on converting short corners, following shots in and playing with a little more consistency but another win gives the side nine points in the first five games.

Player of the match went to Hannah Strickle who tirelessly won the ball back, supported both the defence and forward line and eliminated the Bury defence with multiple precision passes.

Wisbech Ladies 2nds 4 Leadenham 4

Wisbech needed to go into this game with confidence but saw themselves quickly down by two goals from defensive errors.

Wisbech soon came back with a short corner from a Sue “Swampy” Robinson strike and a one on one conversion from Lucy Prior.

With a draw at half-time, Wisbech needed to pile on the pressure but with big gaps opening in defence the opposition took advantage. The home side came straight back with a ball from Emma Baker on the right to Lucy Prior on the flick spot who slotted home.

A flick was converted by the away side and Wisbech then piled the pressure once more with an excellent shot from Emma Baker meeting Oliwia Bolka's pass on the post. There was some excellent goalkeeping from Emily Thomas particularly in the second half but PoM goes to Emma Baker with some excellent runs down the right and brilliant crosses.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More