Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Long Sutton Hockey Club and Wisbech Hockey Club in thick of action, with Sutton men's 2s winning Division 4NW title

More news, no ads


Long Sutton and Wisbech hockey sides were in the thick of the action over the weekend.

Sutton's mens' first team made it two wins in as many weeks with a convincing win at St Ives 2nds.

First half goals came via Fyson from a broken down short corner, Baker from a neat reverse and Hales from a tap in.

Long Sutton Hockey Club men's 2nd team are league winners
Long Sutton Hockey Club men's 2nd team are league winners

Two further tap ins from Gary Hales secured the points for the Men in Green, with St Ives pulling one goal back to make the final score 5-1. Sam Gray was named man of the match.

Meanwhile, the men's 2nd team clinched the Division 4NW league title after a whopping 8-2 win over second-placed Peterborough.

Knowing a win would suffice, Will White and Hagan provided Canham with the chance to make it 1-0.

Long Sutton 2nds in action against Spalding earlier this season
Long Sutton 2nds in action against Spalding earlier this season

Ed White made it 2-0 following good work from Fox, then Hagan played Canham in for his second and made it 3-0.

Fox provided for Batten to make it 4-0 from a deflected finish and then in a family affair Ed White played in Will White, who scored a goal of the season contender to make it 5-0 before 20 minutes had been played.

Sutton continued to push before half-time and Fox added a sixth after Hagan had provided; he then scored a seventh after Josh Smith passed him in.

Just after the restart Peterborough made it 7-1. Sutton struggled to raise their game again and only added through Will White scoring his second stunning goal of the game from a Canham pass.

The final goal of the game went to Peterborough, to make the final score 8-2 to Sutton.

They are now looking forward to building on their title success in the coming years.

Sutton's mens 3rd team fell short, narrowly losing 1-0 against Kettering 4ths. The ladies 1st team were beaten convincingly by Cambridge University 3rds.

Elsewhere, the ladies 2nd team came away from St Neots with their heads held high despite a 2-1 defeat.

Emma Grosvenor equalised after they had gone 1-0 down in the first half, but a quick counter attack from their opponents sealed their fate.

It was a frustrating weekend for many of Wisbech Town Hockey Club’s sides, with the men’s 1st XI slipping into the relegation zone following a 4-1 defeat at home to Harleston Magpies.

Harleston opened up a 2-0 advantage, but Wisbech continued to work hard and pulled a goal back through Tom Jupp.

The home side sought to put some pressure on during the second half as they chased an equaliser, but could not make their opportunities count, with Harleston adding two further goals inside the final five minutes of the game.

This weekend they travel to Cambridge South, who sit just two points ahead of them in the standings.

The Ladies 1st XI travelled to league leaders Bury St. Edmunds, and quickly found themselves a goal down after a defensive error let the hosts in. Wisbech did not let this early disappointment sway them however, stringing together some excellent passing moves, but a second Bury goal before half-time left Wisbech with much to do.

Young defender Olivia Jackson intercepted the ball and sent forward Jo Gomm through on goal, who duly found the back of the net. Wisbech scored a second through Sharon Empson, but Bury St. Edmunds converted a short corner opportunity to maintain a narrow lead entering the closing stages.

Bury held on to win 3-2, with Wisbech's next Division 1 North game against UEA now having added importance.

The ladies' 2nd team lost 5-3 to Ely City. Captain Harriet Bateman said: "While it was not the result we wanted, it was one of our best performances of the season. The link up play between the defence, midfield, and our attacking duo was excellent, and goalkeeper Louisa Thompson made some great saves to keep us in the game during the second half."

The men's second team ran out 8-0 winners against Cambridge Nomads, with Jonny Garner bagging a hat-trick. Dan Martell, Mike Lawrence, Matt Pooley, and captain Jonathan Shippey also found the back of the net.

Wisbech men's 3rd XI scored through Brandon Ruff and Ross Gardner to come from two goals down to draw against Ely 3rds. The ladies' 3rd team were unlucky to lose 1-0 against a tough St Ives side.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More