Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech men mark first home game of season with a win

After a confidence-boosting win on the road to start the season Wisbech Men’s firsts had their first home game, welcoming Cambridge South to Harecroft Road.

Wisbech took a very early lead with Ryan Jackson turning a cross home from close range. This was a sign of things to come as the home side dominated the first half, coming in after 35 minutes 4-0 up thanks to further goals from Jack Bass, Sam Markillie and skipper Tom Jupp.

The only negative was their injuries to Bass and Jamie Hallatt. With only 11 players to play for the entire second half, they continued to press forward and Fred Whatling capitalised from good pressing to get the fifth. Cambridge pushed and grabbed a consolation but the result was never in doubt. They head to Bourne Deeping next week looking to make it nine points from nine. POM Charlie Baxter.

Wisbech hockey action from last season
Wisbech hockey action from last season

The men's seconds hosted Cambs City 6ths. An explosive start to the game saw Wisbech go 1-0 up in the opening five minutes with a well-worked play resulting in Jason Mallett slotting his first of five goals for the day. Wisbech took control of the game, slotting an additional two goals without reply. However, complacency set in and Cambs City caught the home side sleeping and answered with two quick goals of their own.

Man of the Match Dom Stannard steadied the ship with a commanding performance in midfield and Wisbech once again found their rhythm, striking an additional four goals in the game. With Cambs only able to respond with one additional goal, Wisbech ended the day with a comfortable 7-3 win.

The ladies seconds won 3-2 against Cambs South 2nds. The visitors went ahead after 11 minutes, but player of the match Emma Baker equalised after 30 minutes and the same player made it 2-1 16 minutes after the break. Two minutes she sealed her hat-trick, before Cambs South pulled one back. Next week they travel to Northstowe to take on Huntingdon’s 1st team.

Wisbech thirds continued their unbeaten run, making it 22 consecutive league games without dropping a single point, with a 1-0 win against St Neots seconds. After a goalless first period, Elliot Peck scored the only goal. They travel across to Peterborough next week hoping to maintain their winning streak.

Wisbech Ladies pushed back their first league game of the season with a 2-0 win over Peterborough Ladies fifths. Louise Cooper buried a rebound shot to finish the first half 1-0 up. The attacking play continued in the second half, the second goal coming from a penalty corner.

The Ladies fourths trailed 2-0 to an experienced Pelicans side at the break, but the Wisbech ladies fought back hard in the second half and a brilliant run from Izzy Herring, followed by a superb pass in the D created the perfect chance for Zoe Parsons to employ her quick reactions to snatch a fantastic goal. The final score was 3-1 to Pelicans, but this is a huge step up in performance for the Ladies fourths.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More