Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Pinchbeck United beat Wisbech Town in the United Counties League Premier Division North

More news, no ads


A quick-fire double strike sent Wisbech Town to their first defeat of the United Counties League season on Wednesday night.

Hosts Pinchbeck United netted twice in rapid succession in the second half of the Premier Division North clash at the Sir Halley Stewart ground to net their maiden win of the campaign.

The returning Danny Setchell did reduce the arrears for the Fenmen with 11 minutes remaining to set up a tense finale where Pinchbeck held their nerve to take the three points.

Luke Pearson made some fine saves.
Luke Pearson made some fine saves.

The Knights had created the better chances in the first half but were unable to find a way past in-form Wisbech goalkeeper Luke Pearson.

It was then home custodian Alex Smith who helped keep Wisbech at bay during their best spell of the game at the start of the second half before Pinchbeck found their goal touch.

The Knights had gone into the match after being beaten 2-0 by Loughborough Students in their league opener while Wisbech were 1-0 winners over AFC Mansfield.

Pinchbeck welcomed back striker Spencer Weir-Daley into their ranks while the Fenmen were boosted by the inclusion of the dual registered Setchell.

Former Spalding midfielder Kegan Everington came close to latching onto an early opening for the Fenmen but was beaten to the ball in the box by Smith before Pinchbeck created a flurry of openings.

Andre Williams picked out Foster with a pinpoint cross but Pearson was equal to his close range effort with a fine reaction save.

Neal Spafford then burst clear after a rampaging run but Pearson was again out to narrow the angle and save well.

The Wisbech goalkeeper then turned away a Foster shot which fell into the path of Weir-Daley who fired the rebound over the bar as the sides went into the break on level terms.

Wisbech looked to make the most of the opportunity of still being in the game as they responded strongly at the start of the second half.

Ex-Tulips defender Chris Ward sent a header over before Smith shone with a three top-drawer saves in quick succession.

He was down well to turn away a well-struck Danny Brooks free-kick before reacting sharply to block Everington's follow-up.

Danny Setchell scored for Wisbech.
Danny Setchell scored for Wisbech.

From the resultant corner, the ball fell invitingly for Ward who smashed his shot goalwards but Smith showed tremendous agility to finger-tip the ball over the bar at full stretch.

Wisbech were having their best spell of the game but, as often happens, Pinchbeck turned defence into attack to break the deadlock just past the hour mark.

Williams collected the ball wide on the left and swept a tremendous crossfield pass into the path of Foster who broke the offside trap before applying a fine finish over the advancing Pearson.

Foster then turned provider minutes later as his free-kick on the right picked out substitute Peasgood who planted a firm header into the Wisbech net just moments after his introduction.

The Knights were now full of confidence and Weir-Daley had a first-time shot saved by Pearson followed Zane Millar's cracking pass.

Ben Johnson then picked out Foster after a strong run forward but Pearson was again in the right place at the right time to keep out his fierce effort.

The Knights then suffered a blow when the experienced Spafford was forced off with a head injury and shortly after Wisbech reduced the arrears when Setchell drilled home a free-kick from just outside the area.

It was the lifeline that the Fenmen needed with just 11 minutes remaining, but Pinchbeck regrouped and their visitors struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

Owen Howard hit a decent effort narrowly over the crossbar but the Knights were equal to any raids on their goal and, when Smith safely gathered a high cross in the fifth minute of injury-time, the final whistle was blown for Wisbech's first loss of the Leon Mettam era.

Knights: Smith, Simpson, Robson (Millar), Spafford (Parsons), Sheriff, Wiles, Williams, Stevens (Peasgood), Weir-Daley (Vieira), Johnson, Foster. Not used: Wilkinson (GK).

Fenmen: Pearson, Howard, Hamilton (Harris), Masiarz, Ward, Wallace, Kacirek (Janneh), Everington, Acar, Setchell, Brooks (Onyon). Not used: Mettam, Shackleton (GK).

Attendance: 147.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More