Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Unbeaten March Bears top of the table after big win at St Ives

St Ives 2nds 10, March Bears 50

Eastern Counties League One West

Saturday saw another fine victory, leaving the Bears still undefeated at the top of the league after also collecting maximum bonus points in every game.

March also have a game in hand over their rivals and started this game with a try after just four minutes from Sam Howat, who also converted.

Four minutes later a slip in the backs on the very wet surface allowed a chipped kick to be re-gathered by St Ives for their centre to go in under the posts, taking the score to 7-7.

After 23 minutes a superb interception by Adam Munro saw him give a timed pass to Will Paul who then fed Munro back, allowing him to go over under the posts. Again this was converted by Howat.

March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives
March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives

Two minutes later a penalty in front of the sticks saw St Ives bring the score back to within four points.

Then, a Bears forward movement saw the ball fed out to Will Paul who carved through the St Ives backs for a try under the posts which again was converted by Howat to take the score to 10-21 at the break.

The second half turned out to be a completely different affair with a totally dominant performance by the Bears.

Scoring started in the 46th minute with a forward charge down which saw the ball being swept out to Bryn Pughsley to go over near the corner flag

March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives
March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives

The Bears were then held for 20 minutes by a valiant but tiring St Ives side but they were broken when Lee Kupyn broke away from a ruck and then fed out for Ciaran Brown to go over, taking the score to 10-31.

A few minutes later saw a very good break by Howat, again taking a very good line, and looking for support, connected with Will Paul who was not going to be stopped and went over for try number six, converted again by Howat

Four minutes a great back movement saw the ball fed out to the other winger Callum Campbell who raced through for an excellent try.

March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives
March Bears (purple) during their big win in St Ives

With the final whistle due any second the Bears were not willing to let up. They finished the match off with an individual try by Harvey Davies which was completely deserved.

Man of the Match was Danny Grieve for his non-stop performance in all areas of the field

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More