Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Walpole now one win from final

More news, no ads


AFC Walpole moved into the semi-finals of the Cambridgeshire County League Intermediate Cup with a 4-0 victory over lower division Stretham yesterday.

The Honey Badgers, of Division 1B, now travel to play Exning United,who play in 2B, in the semi-final on Saturday, with the final at Newmarket Town's Cricket Field Road ground on Wednesday, June 9.

After a tight first half in which home keeper Aaron Watson pulled off a tremendous save, Walpole took the lead after the break when substitute Luke Whyatt fired across goal and into the roof of the net.

AFC Walpole are through to the semi-finals. (47213494)
AFC Walpole are through to the semi-finals. (47213494)

Stretham,who play two divisions lower than Walpole but were pushing for promotion when the season ended due to Covid-19, were then reduced to 10 men after a foul and Joe Reed fired the resultant free kick into the back of the net.

It was 3-0 when Callum Elsey slid through Jake Hopkisson and he beat two players before cutting back for Reed to score his second. A superb half volley from outside the box by Whyatt finished the scoring.

So Walpole travel to Exning, near Newmarket, on Saturday, with the other semi-final between Senior B side Cambridge University Press Reserves and Division 2A outfit Buckden.

Joe Reed netted twice on Saturday. (47213504)
Joe Reed netted twice on Saturday. (47213504)

In the Peterborough League Senior Cup, Tydd's Group D home game against Crowland Town Reserves was called off after the opposition could not raise a team. With previously unbeaten Thorpe Wood Rangers losing 2-0 at leaders Uppingham Town, Tydd could now progress to the quarter-finals if they too beat Rangers, at home on Saturday.

In the same group, Leverington Sports beat Rippingale and Folkingham 3-0, with Lewis Day, Harley Hollis and Jordan Webb on target.

In the Junior Cup, Tydd Reserves won 4-2 at Peterborough City,with goals from Ben Gibbons, Kai Scott-Henson,Luke Want and Louie Rees.

Wisbech Town Reserves won 6-1 at Long Sutton Athletic Reserves.

In the Minor Cup, Long Sutton Athletic A were beaten 4-1at home to Uppingham Town Reserves on Tuesday, Kye Bunce scoring. After winning their first four games, the magpies could fail to qualify for the knockout stages if they lose at Group A leaders Netherton on Saturday and Uppingham beat struggling Orton Rangers Reserves.

In the North West Norfolk League George Graver Cup,Upwell Town thrashed Dersingham Rovers Reserves 8-3 in Group A to inch closer to the semi-finals, and in the Charlie Day Cup,

Marshland Saints Reserves drew 3-3 with KLSC Reserves, to claim their first Group B points. Alen Jex netted twice with Steven Cooke also on target.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More