Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech Hockey Club beat rivals Long Sutton to extend unbeaten run

Wisbech Hockey Club’s men’s first team enjoyed an excellent start to the season with three wins from three – and went into a local derby with rivals Long Sutton wanting to keep the run going.

They started brightly and thought they had taken an early lead after turning the ball over, but the umpire chalked the goal off.

Not to be discouraged, Wisbech kept pushing and found themselves 3-0 up after less than 15 minutes with two goals from Jack Bass and a further one from Fred Whatling against his former club.

It was another action-packed weekend for Wisbech Hockey Club
It was another action-packed weekend for Wisbech Hockey Club

Sutton came fighting back, and Wisbech allowed their standards to drop, with the away side grabbing a goal before half-time.

After some stern words during the interval, Wisbech looked to atone for their sloppiness and Fred Whatling got his second of the game to put them 4-1 up.

Wisbech conceded a number of short corners, allowing the Lincolnshire side to bring it back to 4-3. With the game suddenly becoming close, it gave the home side a bit more clarity – and they suddenly began to control the game and the scoreline, with husband-to-be Danny Haynes finding pockets of space to relieve pressure.

With five minutes to go, Wisbech won a short corner and finally converted, with Sam Markillie diverting home. 5-3 was the final score, and Wisbech are now the only unbeaten side in the league.

Wisbech men’s 2nds took on Kettering 2s at home, starting really well, controlling the game with some slick passing and creating a few good chances – only to be denied by an on-form Kettering keeper.

After 15 minutes, Wisbech were able to break the deadlock with Jonny Garner penetrating the opposition D and scoring a great solo goal from a tight angle putting the home team 1-0 up.

The first half continued with Wisbech on top, but they were unable to find a second goal.

The second half carried on with Wisbech clearly dictating the game. Kettering were barely able to enter Wisbech’s half, with the centre back pairing of Jonathan and Josh Shippey not letting anything past them.

Player of the match Matt Boyall showed his class in the midfield with skilful dribbling and link-up play.

Although Wisbech continued to create chances, they were unable to find their second goal – with some great stops from the Kettering keeper and a couple of goal line clearances from their defence at short corners.

The game ended 1-0 with Wisbech 2s continuing their unbeaten run.

The ladies 2s hosted Cambs Nomads and were unlucky to get their first defeat of the season.

Nomads managed to edge ahead in the first half, with Wisbech unable to find an equaliser as Nomads’ keeper saved all efforts.

Again in the second half, Nomads were able to score right in the top of the net.

Wisbech battled hard and Lou, Laura and Claire B were able to make some nice passes to send the ball down the line to Emma on the right, while Lily and Claire A made some great runs towards the D.

Lucy, Esme and Swampy were strong in defence, breaking down the play and preventing Nomads from shooting.

Liv was awarded player of the match for some excellent work on the field. The ladies are away at Ely next weekend hope to be back on winning form.

The men’s 3s faced Cambs Nomads in what proved to be a difficult first half for Wisbech.

With multiple opportunities squandered, Nomads scored with their only opportunity of the half. Although the half finished 1-0 to Nomads, it was clear Wisbech had dominated proceedings.

Elliot Peck yet again converted for Wisbech shortly after the break, getting them level. Shortly after that, a goal from Olly Murdoch gave Wisbech the lead.

The goals didn’t stop there, with Elliot Peck scoring yet again. Brandon Ruff grabbed his first goal of the season shortly after, and then Ciaran Lowe to make it 5-1.

An incredibly dominant second half helped keep the team’s unbeaten streak alive, with a special mention going to Mark Littlechild after another strong performance.

The ladies 3s dominated in their match against St Ives 4s on a slow pitch on a very muggy day in Northstowe.

With numerous chances and lots of short corners, the ball was put in the back of the net after some excellent team passing to beat the keeper via Steph Leeks.

Despite a solid performance the 3s were unable to capitalise on any other chances before half-time. The second half was more fruitful, with the second goal slotted home from a penalty corner by Freya Matthews.

The win was sealed by Molly Evans, who batted her way through a packed defence to score her first goal for the club.

Overall, it was a great team performance and 3-0 win, with player of match Izzy Herring in great form.

The men’s 4s travelled to Bourne Deeping for their third game of the season.

Wisbech started strong, controlling the game well and playing some good hockey. Despite their efforts, they couldn’t take the lead.

Just before half-time, a defensive mix-up allowed the home team to edge in front against the run of play.

In the early second half, Bourne Deeping were straight out of the blocks and caught Wisbech by surprise, scoring once again.

Wisbech didn’t lose hope though, and continued to fight back, with each player working hard to get the side back into the game.

The reds had several good opportunities before Willis Ruff finally took one five minutes before the final whistle was blown.

Unfortunately, Wisbech couldn’t find the net a second time to draw the sides level.

While Wisbech deserved more from the game, unfortunately it wasn’t their day this time around.

Man of the match was awarded to Tyler Eggleton for an excellent performance in CM.

The ladies 4s faced some evenly matched opponents in Ely 3s.

Ely pushed the Wisbech ladies hard in the first quarter, but they doubled down and started to gain equal possession.

A plethora of short corners resulted in an unlucky own goal in the first half for Wisbech. However, at half-time, there was still all to play for.

The second half saw Wisbech continuing to push hard, with a good many chances on goal. Zoe Parsons and Fiona Hamer-Phillips generated lots of energy and forward movement, together with some superb defensive work from Hannah Holt and new player Molly Hewitt.

A late goal from Ely sealed the score, however, but the Wisbech ladies did themselves proud throughout the match.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More